Chinese-Forums

Phd in Chinese outside of China

龙秀莲

• New Members

Hello, everyone!

My name is Daria, I'm thinking about applying for Phd in Chinese language, interesting in Chinese linguistic. I've finished the second year of my master's degree (语言学及应用语言学) in Chinese' uni named Dalian University of Foreign Languages. My scores are good (85+ for each subject), I've also obtained HSK6, have working experience as interpreter and teacher. Now I'm writing my diploma, the main context is about Chinese and Russian's 成语.

If there is a chance, I'd like to continue my research, because I really enjoy 对比语言学 :)

So, I'd like to ask you, guys, if there is someone who is also doing Phd outside of China, what are pros and cons of getting PHD? I'm considering mostly American and Great Britain unis, I don't feel like I have enough time for learning other languages now. Also, I 'm really curious which kind of candidates top unis (such as UCLA, Stanford, Berkley, NYU, SOAS, Cambridge, Oxford etc) are looking for (yes, I've done research thing, but in my case the application is not that simple, because I'm Russian :)? I've already done some research inside this universities and found out really huge range of professor's interests.

Also, is it hard to get some scholarship? (before I had full 孔子学院奖学金 and now I also have full 中国政府奖学金?)

And the main question is remains the same after all - which kind of job this Phd student can do after their graduation?For example, in Russia getting Phd in Chinese is not a very common thing, I know just one Phd, she finished one of a Moscow's uni.

Can you share your experience, please? I'm pretty sure about my perspectives in Russia, but absolutely has no idea about the situation in this two countries...

PS. Sorry for my mistakes here :)

I completed an M.Phil in Chinese Language and Literature overseas, but eventually declined a PhD program. 

I've heard of some well-known American sinologists retiring so that their students can have their jobs. The market is not very good. There are very few good programs, they are all very expensive, and spots for funded research students are extremely limited (an extremely prestigious university in my city, U-Penn, fund 2 students for the entire foreign language department). 

When you do get that PhD, it's very difficult to find gainful employment in one of America's foreign language departments (odds are similar to being selected in to play professional sports).

Essentially, the same things apply to Chinese PhDs that apply to humanities PhDs. China is a hot field, but in terms of getting academic funding, it is still only marginally less competitive than the rest of the oversaturated humanities market. 

• Helpful 1