Chinese-Forums

Vietnamese->Chinese Name

twilightwind

Hello,

My family on my father's side is part Chinese and they speak Teochew Chinese (is it also called Yue?). My Vietnamese name is: Lý, Tuấn Phong, and my dad had said that my Chinese name was (this is what it sounds like to me): Chung Hong. I thought that was somewhat odd since "Phong" was from "Feng." Does anyone know what it's suppose to be? If you do know could you write in the Chinese script and pinyin?

Thank you!

Hi,

Your name in Mandarin is Lǐ Jùnfēng (li3 jun4feng1). I can't give the precise characters for it because there are many, depending on what you name means.

"Chung Hong" for "Tuấn Phong" may not be odd if you know what dialect it's supposed to be.

Thanks! I wasn't really expecting a response so soon. Teochew is part of Min, so it would be an "h" instead, or is it just pronounced as an "h?" I know that Phong means wind, and I think Tuấn means bright, but I'm not sure... I don't quite get what my mom means. Thanks!

^_^ that's great, this has been buggng me for awhile since I don't know Chinese. My mom said that tuấn is reference to "tuấn tu" does that change the meaning? Sorry! I didn't find out until she got home last night. But there's been lots of helpful information... searching the web is a pain-- seriously can't find anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks alot everyone who responded and for the help. and ..... :mrgreen: could you do two more names, pretty please? The names are: Võ Ngọc Giang and Phạm Thanh Trúc. Thanks again, and again... by the way how do you know what the names mean anyhow? Are the people who know bilingual?

Oh... so last names still have meanings? I never knew that! lol ^_^;

I asked my mom what the names meant and she said it's just a family name, so I didn't really think there was a meaning. So what does Lý mean? Thanks.... so how long have you been studying? Do you know Chinese and Vietnamese?

~!, my mom's name, Thanh said it was intended to be like running water... so does that change the character as well? And my friend, Ngọc translated his name as "Bejewled" so would it still be Pearl?

Oh... so last names still have meanings? I never knew that! lol ^_^;

I asked my mom what the names meant and she said it's just a family name, so I didn't really think there was a meaning

Your mother was right!

Beware that in Chinese and Vietnamese full name order, "last" name come first.

Vũ/Võ 武, Phạm 范, Lý 李 are family names . Many family names originated from place names in ancient China, like the "von", "van" , "de " in Europe.

As for the Roman transcriptions, there can be as many transcriptions as authors.

It just happens that 李 also means "plum" .

Thanh said it was intended to be like running water... so does that change the character as well? And my friend, Ngọc translated his name as "Bejewled
"

"Thanh" in "Thanh trúc" in 青竹 is a colour name, can mean :blue, green, dark, and can apply to water, river, etc...

There is a homonym 清, which means "pure", and cand also apply to water, but not to "trúc" 竹 (at least for the "trúc" characters I know )

"Ngọc" 玉 means originally means "jade", but has many derived meanings: pure as jade, valuable,precious , etc...And its usage is Vietnamese can also differ a little from the Chinese meaning: the meaning "pearl" in Sino/vietnamese is as common as "jade".

• 12 years later...
  • 1 year later...