Chinese-Forums

My struggle learning 110 Anki Flashcards

phoneticsem

For those difficult to remember vocabulary, try using a different way to expose yourself to the vocabulary.

Either use anki but use sentences which use the vocabulary.

Or you can ask a language partner to say a few sentences to use using those vocabulary.

On 3/13/2022 at 4:09 PM, Flickserve said:

Either use anki but use sentences which use the vocabulary.

At my current level, If the word is difficult to remember, I am just taking first character and further breaking down into subcomponents and learning first that subcomponent, marking that word as failed in Anki. Next time, I check the subcomponent I learnt is still i can recollect. once I am okay with that then go to further subcomponents or first character and learn that. I am not worried about remaining portion, 

likewise, I am progressing….

Forming sentences will be good idea, I am not there yet..May be after I learnt 2 more decks (200 words) will follow the sentences. But my focus now is to learn those decks first in the format, they were created

I learnt my first 200 characters by writing them out on paper a lot of times. They were traditional Chinese. I found it quite helpful in recognising other characters later on even for simplified characters. You can try that out, read some simple sentences containing those words and see if it helps. 

• Like 1

I think it's mostly a matter of repetition. You review your textbook unit several times. You see the same characters in the workbook, in a slightly different context. You see them again in your supplementary reading. You hear it in your listening material. Then it comes up again in a following unit. Eventually, you can't forget it.

On 2/24/2022 at 5:40 AM, phoneticsem said:

My Textbook has 10-15 new words for each chapter. I wrote down all 110 words from the text book and their components in the notebook and created an Anki Deck with 110 words. 

Here's what I don't understand: you're putting all the words 10-15 from each chapter in a flashcard deck. So you've learned them already haven't you, this is just  for review? Or, are you trying to learn all the words before you actually go through the book? If it's the latter, I think that's a mistake - you should learn them in context as you go through the book. That way you're only learning 10-15 at a time. But maybe I misunderstood something in your post. 

万事开头难!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Sure. Sometimes just mixing up the methods can give your brain a break from one style of learning and facilitate learning by another style. 

It’s like having one teacher teach the same thing over and over again but it just doesn’t stick. Then another teacher explains the same thing in a slightly different way and then you say “oh yeah, that’s it!”.

• Helpful 1

On 3/17/2022 at 10:28 PM, suMMit said:

So you've learned them already haven't you, this is just  for review? Or, are you trying to learn all the words before you actually go through the book? If it's the latter, I think that's a mistake - you should learn them in context as you go through the book

I did not read through all the lessons. I took vocabulary book, which explains the words with sample sentences, go through the meaning of the words, written them in the paper book, then written in the Anki. then practicing. That is this year’s learning style of mine.

• 1 month later...

i noticed new features in Anki as below:

Review Mode:

Anki Advanced SRS => this is default

Random Reshuffle => Not sure, when this is effective?

Auto-Flip Timer => This is useful, so that it automatically Flips after set seconds

0.25 sec to 5 Sec.

Are you using these new features?

• 2 months later...
  • New Members
jamwithslicedbread

have you considered using a different method to memorise? i.e. mnemonics?  aka: tuttle? heisig  or even paying for Mandarin Blueprint?

i am going through the process - too many fragments to remember so doesn't connect. started on the "Learning Chinese Characters" on the side.

Focused more speaking first - doing the HSK book. why? As Tuttle's book doesn't exactly align in terms of characters shown and i haven't create all my own stories yet.

Tuttle & Mandarin Blueprint i read to believe it improves on heisig - connects characters, components and tones... i read heisig focuses on characters..

another poster mentioned something of the like

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/60773-how-i-learned-4000-characters-or-tuttlematthews-“learning-chinese-characters-–-part-2”/page/3/

• Helpful 1

On 3/13/2022 at 4:09 PM, Flickserve said:

For those difficult to remember vocabulary, try using a different way to expose yourself to the vocabulary.

So true. started reading stories.

On 7/8/2022 at 10:50 AM, jamwithslicedbread said:

am going through the process - too many fragments to remember so doesn't connect. started on the "Learning Chinese Characters" on the side.

After your reply, I checked the 110 flashcards now and these are not frequently used and could not recollect most of them. even the mnemonics/connections I formed to remember during that time, I could not recollect them in first attempt.

So I stopped adding new words in Anki, but just keep reading and re-reading the stories, adding new words in bookmarks on my pleco dictionary and revising them regularly. using Anki, to just write those words which I am confused with only now.(both the words/characters)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/18/2022 at 4:51 PM, Flickserve said:

Sometimes just mixing up the methods can give your brain a break from one style of learning and facilitate learning by another style. 

So true. i followed context and some improvement after strictly following Context. say ~50%. For other words following the mixture of these methods, like

by learning all characters of the word first, 

forming a meaningful phrase or sentences 

forming a pneumonic 

spending additional time on a particular word alone

checking the outlier dictionary 

etc…

TLDR: scroll down for pictures of how my anki cards look. Split up meaning and pronunciation, add a sentence. 

You should really try not to test for pronunciation and meaning on a single card. It goes against the whole idea of testing for the least possible information on each card. Seems to be what most people do though.

This is the basic note format that I use for new words in Anki, it needs 5 fields, with an optional 6th:

• Chinese - Chinese characters
  • English - English meaning
  • Pinyin - Pinyin of the word
  • Audio - Audio, use the anki-forvo-dl addon for this, or get your own word audio
  • Sentence - an associated sentence, ideally the sentence where you first encountered the word (https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/858591644)
  • (EnZhCard) - putting anything in this will create a card

This will create 3 cards (with an option English->Chinese card)

• Recall meaning only 
    • Front: Chinese chars - Back: English and audio/pinyin
  • Recall pronunciation only
    • Front: Chinese chars - Back: audio only (pinyin as a hint filed) or pinyin if there is no audio available
  • Recall Chinese from English (optional)
    • Front: English definition - Back: English 
  • Sentence card
    • front: Sentence with target word highlighted - Back: pronunciation, audio
    • I don't include the English meaning of the sentence since I always remember it and if I can't then I change to an easier sentence.

Here's how my cards look:

Sentence (recall word meaning in context):

front:

image.thumb.png.f3a5794e3e424be2ee08a0a98d702fb2.png

back:

image.thumb.png.b9e5173afb929dc290d40c5bed02ced1.png

Pronunciation (recall ONLY pronunciation, ideally with audio rather than pinyin):

front:

image.thumb.png.837667c7dd10e1545b574d44dabadb3c.png

back:

image.thumb.png.ccd16cd93827682062af914fc82bde0c.png

Recall meaning only:

front:

image.thumb.png.9aaa892f06091bd5f10e591a492f517c.png

back:

image.thumb.png.471d977f11c799114d3a5981ff2fddcc.png

• Like 2