Chinese-Forums

What's 印象 mean really? This word's popping up everywhere.

vellocet

So in the past couple of years 印象 is used everywhere.  It's in the name of several commercial areas.  The dictionary says "impression" but I don't really grok what it means.  Examples: 印象南塘, where Nantang is kind of like the River Walk in San Antonio, a strip with cafes, bars, shops on both sides of the water. "Impression of Nantang"? A new mall just opened up called 印象城, "impression of the city"?  What's that supposed to mean?  The English name is MEGA.  There's 印象里, a kind of open-air mall/food court, which I don't even know what it's trying to say.  "Place where you can get an impression"? The English name is Incity.  I feel I am missing something essential to the meaning of 印象.  

• New Members

印象means impression。But here they have a meaning of  XXX's impression, so 南塘印象means the impression of Nantang. 印象城and印象里,here“城”and“里”means a particular place, like a shopping mall or an area!

It does work largely like "Impressions" - as in making a good one or having a striking impact on the visitor, I presume; just advertising fluff-speak I'd say.  A quick search just found an Impressions Boutique and Impressions Vanity as Western business names.

agree with @Jim

印象南塘 is a National AAAA Scenic Spot.

Another example: 印象·刘三姐, a famous performace whose chief director is 张艺谋, also the chief director of the opening and closing ceremonies of 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics.

Impression—Liu Sanjie

印象·刘三姐