Chinese-Forums

Choosing a chinese name

aeitodd

• New Members

Hi! I'm studying Mandarin and would like to choose a Chinese name, so am looking for advice on which names sound nice to a native speaker! I'd like a name which has a young and maybe slightly unusual feeling.

At the moment I am thinking of choosing either 杜若滢 or 杜晨曦. If anyone has any thoughts about which of these sounds best that would be great, 谢谢!

Both names are very good, from perspectives of meaning as well as young and feminine impression.

If really need to differentiate, the tones of 杜若滢 is 4, 4 and 2, and that for 杜晨曦 is 4, 2 and 1.  As the former with two consecutive 4th tone, the latter seems to me comparatively a little bit easier to pronounce.

While having said that, people will normally call you abbreviated name like:

杜总
小杜
小滢
小曦

the above will not impact much on your everyday life and so it will not be a big issue.

All in all, both are very good names.

• Helpful 2

On 4/1/2022 at 9:18 PM, 889 said:

Can you pronounce 若 well? Myself, I'd avoid it because it's one of those sounds I've never been able to really master.

Wait a second, (I assume) you pronounce 过,活,火,剁,所,错,etc well, why should 若 be different? 

On 4/2/2022 at 8:03 PM, 889 said:

It's not the vowels, it's that r. I always stumble over 热 and 日 and such, and do my best to avoid them. E.g., use 礼拜天 instead of 星期日.

I like to use 礼拜天 because it sounds so old school?

I'm sure my R's are not perfect, but I've never felt much trouble with it. I was instructed something like: position your tongue in the same way as zh-,ch-,sh- but don't make contact with tongue tip, then keep the tongue locked in position with no movement as you make the r- initial.

The way I was taught the r was very effective, but will unfortunately only work for a very small subset of people:

Say je or Jean like in French

Say drie oktober as it is pronounced in the Leiden dialect

The Chinese r is between the French j and the Leiden r.