Chinese-Forums

Goodbye HelloTalk

david387

On 4/8/2022 at 10:16 AM, suMMit said:

Honestly, I find trying to practice Chinese with people who are trying to practice English to be not very productive.

Are you already based in China? Don't see much point for you to try to access "language partners".

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 11:43 PM, Flickserve said:

Are you already based in China? Don't see much point for you to try to access "language partners".

No, I'm in Los angeles, but there's plenty of people I can make friends with here that speak chinese. I just enjoy being part of a community online.

On 4/5/2022 at 9:34 PM, Flickserve said:

definitely sympathise with you considering all your contributions in the past

Thank you. Yes 6 years is a long time. There were hundreds of hours of my life on that app. Not to be too arrogant but generally wherever I hang out things tend to grow, so I think they'll be losing something too.

• Like 1

Had a similar experience with HelloTalk myself. I never once made a political post, or a post even about world news. But I would get shadowbanned for the strangest things. Sometimes even a link to an external site, like a movie review website, would be too far. I understand that it's very delicate trying to create a place where people from China and those outside China can meet and discuss things freely, but using the site just made me realize that censorship in China is not only very much alive but way worse than I thought.

I use Tandem now, but don't have much time for social media or language partners regardless...