Chinese-Forums

Is there a safe social media app that the government can't listen in to, that 'doesn't' require a VPN?

Shazmataz

On 4/15/2022 at 7:36 PM, Insectosaurus said:

A country is not a family and the prime minister is not my father.

Take that to any level of social unit and it still works. You wouldn't allow that kind of behaviour in a family, a school, a business, and you shouldn't in a society.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't correct channels for expressing discontent within a system. Just that taken to an extreme on either end of the scale is a bad thing. Being arrested for saying to your friend that you don't like the president is the sign of a failing system. I don't think being able to call your prime minister a wanker to his face without consequences is not the sign of a well functioning system either. If you treat people in a role like clowns then you will eventually fill that role with real clowns. 

You could argue that the latter is the lesser of the two evils, but then it probably depends on who is in charge in the former. I don't want 1984, but I don't want Idiocracy either. 

On 4/15/2022 at 7:36 PM, Insectosaurus said:

That the state can't lock people up because of them being rude to their regimes? The fact that journalists here can argue for regime change? Yes, and yes.

Isn't the role of a journalist to report news and let people decide, not to leverage the media to push their own views and argue for regime change? Should they be arrested for trying to do that? No, probably not, and I never said they should be, but they should probably be discouraged from doing so, and there should be consequences. I'm pretty sure there are special rules in every country set out for news companies and a code of conduct for how they are supposed to go about reporting news. To go back to my main point, unconditional freedom of speech is not the ultimate good.

• Like 1

Uighur-schmighur, what're you all goin'on about...  The journalist's role is to report the doin's of the party in power, transmit to the people what the party in power requires of those same people, and ensure that those who are punished by the party in power are held up as an example of what was done wrong and thus why they were justifiably punished. If you were "disappeared," the journalist should be properly discreet about it until you re-appear properly contrite, whereupon the journalist should then helpfully point out your indiscretions. If you never reappear, the journalist should never, ever, amplify the complaints or questions of family members as to why you disappeared, and where you disappeared to. The party in power will, of course, keep child molesters, corrupt officials, criminal elements, etc., under control on your behalf,  unless said miscreants are.... Well, that's probably better left unsaid by the journalist who wants to stay a journalist.

Just makin' a nuisance of myself...

TBZ

• Like 2