Chinese-Forums

Learnt, but unable to recollect 放

phoneticsem

I don't know how long you've been studying, and I don't mean any disrespect, but 放 is one of the most basic, elementary words in the language, as "put" would be in English. It also comes up in many two character words in intermediate. It seems like you would have heard, read and said this word so many times that it would be impossible to forget. If you've been learning for more than 6 months, I might question the methodology.

I did not read too much chinese. So you learnt it by associating it to familiar word put in English, so that you never forget that. that is how you connected that word. I did not connect it to put as it has another meaning to release also. Let me connect it to put now. 

两人商量后,决定把食物放回食材区。After the two discussed it, they decided to put the food back in the ingredients area

On 6/5/2022 at 3:20 PM, phoneticsem said:

So you learnt it by associating it to familiar word put in English

Maybe I did a long time ago, I don't really remember, but it's just 放 to me. 啤酒放在冰箱里吧。 I'm not really thinking "put" , no. 

I guess it's just surprising to me that you know 商量, the 把字句 structure and 食,材 but not remember 放. I haven't heard 食材区 before, though I know the individual characters. I would say 柜子 or 架上 I think.

Edit:** I stand somewhat corrected, I just looked up 放 and its actually an Hsk3 word. That surprises me. I never used the Hsk 1 and 2 books, as I studied other textbooks at the beginning. I would have thought 放 was an Hsk1 word. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 3:41 PM, suMMit said:

but it's just 放 to me. 啤酒放在冰箱里吧。 I'm not really thinking "put" , no.

Great. Initially you learnt 放 with the sentence 啤酒放在冰箱里吧 and gradually, automatically you can make it out?

I am reading this sentence 两商量后,决定把食物放回食材区.

Earlier I did not know, 商量,决定 I learnt them with this sentence.

食 I know. 材 I know it as ability, but it has another meaning material. I could not make 食材 as food ingredient 

just learnt with this sentence 

but 放 i learnt it in another reading, but could not recollect when going through the above sentence 

On 6/5/2022 at 7:43 PM, phoneticsem said:

Great. Initially you learnt 放 with the sentence 啤酒放在冰箱里吧 and gradually, automatically you can make it out?

No. That's just a sentence I might say to my wife. I learned this word maybe 3+ years ago, so I don't remember exactly where. Out of curiosity, I looked up the first instance of it appearing in the textbook I started with, so maybe it was that sentence. It was in unit 11 of the book and probably corresponds to the first chapter of an Hsk 2 book.

image.thumb.png.3cf6e4332586b0f9e4740ff8438262a6.png

On 6/4/2022 at 11:21 PM, phoneticsem said:

Any suggestions how you overcome these types of issues?

1. I would learn a bunch of compound words that use your problem word 放 as one component. (Find it in Pleco and click on "words beginning with" for many examples.) Memorize half a dozen or so of these so well that you can say them and write them at the drop of a hat. 

2. I would also learn lots of sample sentences, ones that use the word in ways that are common and useful today. Avoid any rare, antique, or esoteric uses. (These can also be found in Pleco. You can use Baidu to learn more about them.) Memorize half a dozen or so of these so well that you can say them a dozen times a day out loud if they even remotely fit a real life situation you are in.

These methods go beyond "familiarization learning" or "recognition learning." This word needs to become part of you. Part of your body and part of your soul. The following week change it up and learn another half dozen compound fang words and sample sentences and use them to death. Become a short-term "fang fanatic" and a short-term "fang expert."

Make your Chinese friends cringe when the see you coming because they know you will deluge them with your latest "fang words." Some of them will hate you and run hide; others will play your game and multiply your benefits by adding their own favorite "fang words and phrases" to your repertory. 

Make learning "fang" 放 your main mission in life for a month or two until it grows out of each hand like an extra finger and out of each foot like an extra toe.    

• Like 2

If you keep forgetting a person's name, mnemonics and stuff to help you remember are fine but once you've spent enough time with them you'll never forget their name and don't need any tricks for it either. Spend more time with Chinese, the important stuff will come up again and again. Don't worry about forgetting and having to look things up again, that's part of learning.

Learning related compounds are a great way to help cement new characters and learn more vocab too, as long as they aren't way above your current level.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2022 at 1:09 PM, suMMit said:

放 is one of the most basic, elementary words in the language, as "put" would be in English

The original meaning comes up from Release.

Even to Put something, a thing should be released. I will go with 1. Release, 2. Put, rather associating only to Put 

Put with sense of releasing, Put out (Not in the of Put in)

https://chinese.yabla.com/chinese-english-pinyin-dictionary.php?define=放