Chinese-Forums

Questions on the HSK 3 textbook / workbook

cunzai

I got my official HSK 3 textbook + workbook in the mail today. For HSK 1 & 2, I used the Coursera courses by Peking University (technically not done with HSK 2 yet but...almost there). Anyway, the textbook format is unfamiliar to me, so I have some questions.

1. Is there any new vocab in the dialogues that isn't specifically pointed out? (assuming you studied according to the HSK 3 regimen)
  2. In the back of the book, there's a section of vocab titled "words not included in the syllabus", does that refer to non-HSK vocab included in the textbook, or HSK vocab that was not included? (this may be a silly question, but I'd just like some clarification while I'm here)
  3. What sort of pace did you use when going through the book? (i.e. one lesson a day, two a week, etc)
  4. Is there an answer key, perhaps somewhere online? (to both the textbook & workbook)

I'm also happy to hear any additional advice you may have. 谢谢 in advance

I did the hsk 3 book together with a teacher on Italki and I spent about 1.5 weeks on each unit.   But I use a lot of other resources on the side, so never only focused on that. I would say all the "words not included in the syllabus" are still very useful. There's nothing in hsk 3 that won't be very basic everyday words/grammar. I highly recommend Chinese Zero to Hero as a companion to the book. They explain the vocab/grammar points well ,lots of examples, extra speaking practice activities, very little pinyin, they supply all the workbook answers, its also excellent listening practice as he mainly speaks the target language.

The official answers for the HSK Standard Course textbook are found on the BLCUP website.  However, they're hard to find, so they're directly linked to at this Chinese.SE resources post.  Here they are:

Found the workbook links too:

To download them as pdfs, you need to login, then click the purple "Download" icon, then on the next page click the word "Download".

On 6/19/2022 at 12:33 PM, cunzai said:

In the back of the book, there's a section of vocab titled "words not included in the syllabus", does that refer to non-HSK vocab included in the textbook, or HSK vocab that was not included? (this may be a silly question, but I'd just like some clarification while I'm here)

These are words that are not in the HSK3 syllabus.   There's a column "Level" which says which HSK level it is, so for example 词语 is in the HSK4 syllabus, while 可乐 is not in the HSK syllabus at any level (actually, it's in the post-reform HSK vocabulary).

The HSK website says only HSK5 and HSK6 allow words outside the syllabus (超纲词) on the exam; I can't guarantee this is accurate.  For the HSK3 specifically:

新HSK在命题、拼制试卷的过程中,遵循“词汇控制精密化”的原则。例如:HSK(一级)共40题,规定的150个词必须全部使用到,全卷一个超纲词都不许出现;HSK(二级)共60题,规定的300个词必须全部使用到,全卷一个超纲词都不许出现;HSK(三级)共80题,规定的600个词必须全部使用到,全卷一个超纲词都不许出现;HSK(四级)共100题,规定的1200个词必须至少“消耗”960个,全卷一个超纲词都不许出现;HSK(五级)共100题,要尽可能多地使用规定的2500词,尤其是新增的1300词,全卷超纲词控制在15%左右;HSK(六级)共101题,试题语料在词汇的使用上,不受规定的5000词的限制,但考点和词语题选项中的词语应该在这5000词范围内。

It says all 600 HSK3 words must appear on the exam, and no other words are allowed to appear.