Could not get the meaning, because of these unknowns

讲卫生 jiǎng wèishēng pay attention to hygiene 

卫 I know “guard, protect”; now learnt => health

受 receive => suffer

委屈 wěiqu => to feel wronged

鼓起勇气 gǔqǐyǒngqì => to summon one’s courage 

勇 => brave

解释 => explanation 

But do you want to share any of your experiences with the above words?

On 6/25/2022 at 12:39 PM, phoneticsem said:

讲卫生 jiǎng wèishēng pay attention to hygiene 

This is two words, really.  The first word is 讲 where it means "to be particular about" or "be fussy about" in this context (it has other meanings), such as in 讲礼貌 = "to be particular about politeness", 不讲理 = "to not be particular about reason" = "unreasonable", etc.  卫生 is "hygiene", so 讲卫生 = "to be particular about hygiene", which is a desirable trait if you're, say, a chef.  In the sentence, people are misinterpreting the boys as being dirty.

I don't recall ever seeing 卫 pertain to 卫生 outside of the word 卫生.  (You'll encounter it in 捍卫 = "defend" and 卫星 = "satellite".)

受 receive => suffer

By itself, what a person 受s could be good or bad (or just neutral): 受到人们欢迎 (here it's good), 受老师的批评 (here's it's bad).  So it's not necessarily "suffer".  To emphasize it's a bad thing, we often use the 2-character 遭受.  In this case, 饱受 is used (I hadn't seen this before today).

勇 => brave

It's seldom encountered outside the words 勇敢, 勇气, and 英勇.  I don't recall ever seeing it by itself (except in people's names).

解释 => explanation 

This functions both as a noun ("an explanation") and a verb ("to explain").  It's a verb in the given sentence.

岂不是饱受委屈?

In the HSK 2.0 vocabulary, only one word uses the character 岂, which is the HSK6 chengyu 岂有此理 (literally "how have this logic?", and it seems to carry the same sentiment as "what is this nonsense?" in English).  Both 岂有此理 and the given example are rhetorical questions.  In the wild, I've only ever seen in once used in a TV series where someone is lying to the emperor, and the emperor yells 岂有此理!

• Helpful 1

On 6/25/2022 at 1:47 PM, becky82 said:

The first word is 讲 where it means "to be particular about" or "be fussy about" in this context (it has other meanings), such as in 讲礼貌 = "to be particular about politeness",

讲 jiǎng => to be particular about:

Earlier i learnt it as explain.But “to be particular about” is most suitable meaning in this context. thanks for correcting it.

Pleco CC Dictionary:

1 to speak
2 to explain
3 to negotiate
4 to emphasise
5 to be particular about
6 as far as sth is concerned
7 speech
8 lecture

On 6/25/2022 at 1:47 PM, becky82 said:

By itself, what a person 受s could be good or bad (or just neutral): 受到人们欢迎 (here it's good), 受老师的批评 (here's it's bad).  So it's not necessarily "suffer".  To emphasize it's a bad thing, we often use the 2-character 遭受.  In this case, 饱受 is used (I hadn't seen this before today).

饱受 bǎoshòu to suffer (from pleco)

interestingly 饱 = to eat till fulfil, but how 饱受 = suffer, not sure. 

岂不 qǐbù how could n’t ..? wouldn’t it..? ( from pleco)

On 6/25/2022 at 6:47 AM, becky82 said:

I don't recall ever seeing 卫 pertain to 卫生 outside of the word 卫生.  (You'll encounter it in 捍卫 = "defend" and 卫星 = "satellite".)

Here's one: 世卫组织, short name for the WHO (世界卫生组织). But you won't see this kind of usage outside of abbreviations. Sorta similar to how 美 can be used to stand in for 美国 in phrases like 中美关系, even though 美国 isn't a fundamental meaning of 美.

Note that 卫生 is really broader than just "hygiene", and often means "health" in the sense of public health (公共卫生).

• Helpful 1

• 2 months later...