Chinese-Forums

批评 pīpíng to criticise, Criticism

phoneticsem

事后我再三思量,或许自己也做了一个错误的判断。

After the event, I consider over and over again, perhaps myself made a mistake of judgement 

再三 zàisān over and over again

或许 huòxǔ perhaps, maybe 

当大叔开始向朋友抱怨时,我选择置身事外,觉得只是两个人私下的批评,没想到却引发了之后的误会。

置身事外 zhìshēnshìwài to stay out of it

批评 pīpíng to criticise

引发 yǐnfā to lead to

At the time Uncle begin to complain to friends, I select to stay out of it, simply think private matter of criticism among two people, but did not think it lead to a mistake afterwards 

In 口语 you more commonly use 或者 or even just 或.

(You'll get a warmer welcome here if you put all your similar vocabulary questions in one single thread. A new thread for each one sort of litters the board. You don't want to be asking about 反感 next!)

• Like 1

或许,我一开始就应该开口解释,即使被认为多事,也总 比尴尬收场要好。

Perhaps, just at the beginning I should start to explain, even though feels interfering, always compare embarrassing at the end, with finishing on the good terms.

一开始 yī kāishǐ at the very beginning

应该 yīnggāi should

即使 jíshǐ even though

收场shōuchǎng  the end;

I have completed 3 compositions and came across through 750 words, which I do not know/do not remember. while reading. Used different methods.

My goal was to complete 5 Compositions by 2022. Let me go through repeatedly the 3 stories maximum, so that these words are in control and can play around with them

In my opinion is adult learner with some on and off exposure can start at advanced level and initially to work hard in understanding, but no need to go by levels, if your goal is to deal with advanced compositions. That is my opinion

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2022 at 9:08 PM, KupGriye said:

Never done intensive reading, never made flashcards and never wrote characters (only recognition).

Even without referring the dictionary you are recognising characters? how are you recognising? what is the mode of connectivity to recognise?

On 7/10/2022 at 11:24 AM, phoneticsem said:

Even without referring the dictionary you are recognising characters? how are you recognising? what is the mode of connectivity to recognise?

I only read online so I can immediately press on any unknown character, get the meaning and keep on reading. From this only I learn to recognize characters that I have never written before. But I should say that I began reading like this when I already had about 1800 characters rote memorized the (bad) old fashioned way.. 

Anyway I read through the readibu app (at first I read tons of their children stories, then a lot of web novels and then novels I found on other sites). 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 7:14 PM, KupGriye said:

I only read online so I can immediately press on any unknown character, get the meaning and keep on reading.

The vocabulary reference you are doing online from readibu. good it might save time.  I do it from dictionary, Pleco. 

How you are remembering all those referenced vocabulary? Are you creating any mnemonic? or repeating it few times? or with context you will be able to remember by referring it only once? this is the point where it differs for individuals.can you elaborate on how?

If you have gone through a composition of one page, will you be able write without many mistakes?  if someone does the dictation?

The below is from FAQ from readibu.

Can I export words?
Yes, you can export words by navigating to Words tab > Word Settings > select "Start Export" option.

How you are remembering all those referenced vocabulary? Are you creating any mnemonic? or repeating it few times? or with context you will be able to remember by referring it only once? this is the point where it differs for individuals.can you elaborate on how?

If you are reading a story or novel, there will be certain new words that appear again and again.  There is no need to expend a lot of energy in memorizing them or even in trying to remember them.  Simply by encountering them again and again, they become as familiar as the words you already know.

For example, if you are reading "The Little Prince" in Chinese, you will naturally learn the words for snake, pilot and command if you didn't already know them because they play an important part in the story and come up many times.

Language learning doesn't have to be as effortful as some people insist.

On 7/10/2022 at 10:43 PM, Moshen said:

If you are reading a story or novel, there will be certain new words that appear again and again.  There is no need to expend a lot of energy in memorizing them or even in trying to remember them.  Simply by encountering them again and again, they become as familiar as the words you already know

Not exactly for my Examination Compositions/Stories. Based on the content/context of the story the new vocabulary keeps changing. 50% vocabulary might be repetitive. If you know the exact meaning of the new words you can answer the questions better.Also the Idioms and some words are not going to repeat mostly.

But understand your point, mostly some words are repeated in composition itself, and we can remember them if keep reading or practicing more compositions and your new words count to refer will keep decreasing by each composition and makes it easier. But we must have a method to revise the new vocabulary to stand out. Familiarity and understanding of the topic also plays the important role

If you know the exact meaning of the new words

Unfortunately, most words do not have an "exact meaning."  Not in Chinese, not in English and not in whatever your native language is.

We see so many questions here, how can one word mean a, b, c and d?, where those letters signify ideas that don't seem to have a common denominator.  They just do.  That is how language works. 

And that is why learning language in context is so much more effective than trying to pinpoint and memorize so-called "exact meanings."

1. The most apparent difference between Chinese and english  is, the written appearance of the language. → Chinese uses characters, which cannot be sounded out, while English words use the alphabet, which allows the speaker to sound out the word because it is a phonetic language. 

https://www.digmandarin.com/6-major-differences-between-english-and-chinese.html

On 7/11/2022 at 5:51 AM, Moshen said:

We see so many questions here, how can one word mean a, b, c and d?

Even other languages have multiple meanings.But chinese have some percentage more. In this case we need to go one by one first note down the meaning with current context say a or b and move on. We have many double and 4 character words in chinese which have specific meanings. 

We need to refer the dictionary for most suitable contextual meaning and keep understanding the context and must keep going with learning journey.