Chinese-Forums

Images of old Beijing

Adrian43

• New Members

I am preparing for publication a collection of photographs of Beijing from 1862 to 1912 and would appreciate help in identifying the contents of several of them. Subject matter includes temples, monasteries, pagodas, pailou, traditional musical instruments and Peking opera. By way of background, I am a post graduate of the Australian National University (Asian Studies) and the author of several academic books on India and Nepal.

You're welcome to post them here. If you need private help leave contact details, but that's a lot less fun. 

We do ask that you don't delete the photos once you've got your answers, though. Much less interesting for future visitors if you do that.

Also, you overload folks here if you post too many within a day or two. Three maybe four at a time is about right. But keep everything within a single thread.

And number the photos serially. Otherwise it becomes really confusing referring back to them.

• Like 1

• New Members

Thanks your advice and guidance. I was not intending to upload images to be identified. I have grouped the images into topics and inserted them by topic into Word files. I am uploading 3 of them here: city walls and gates, Coal Hill, Confucius Temple. I am hoping that someone can download the files, answer the questions on them, then repost them for me.

OB. Images to be researched. City walls and gates.docx OB. Images to be researched. Coal Hill.docx OB. Images to be researched. Confucius Temple.docx

Consider doing this differently. Make a thread titled 'Identifying Old Images of Beijing City Wall' or something, then post 3-4 images in that thread (not as a attachment, but in the post itself, immediately visible), numbered, and with your questions. Once you have some answers, post the next 3-4. That way, everyone can see the pictures without any effort on their part (no clicking stuff, no down- and uploading things) and add their thoughts.

If you prefer uploading three Word documents, well, it's up to you, but it may be the least effective way of getting responses. You put a lot of effort on the responders, while you want to make it easy for them/us.

• Like 3

On 7/6/2022 at 3:52 PM, Adrian43 said:

I am hoping that someone can download the files, answer the questions on them, then repost them for me.

This is a very poor way to get a response.

Nothing personal, but I don’t even have word on my computer (or phone which is how many people browse the forums). 

I’m not going to download a word file, figure out how to open and edit it then upload a new copy.

It’s significant effort spent mostly on pointless busywork. 

Now I might not be able to answer your question anyway, but the more difficult you make it for me to even look at things, the less likely I am to bother even taking a look. 

• Like 1