Chinese-Forums

Any non-mainland news websites that cover international news?

黄有光

I'm assuming that you are interested in sites that are in Chinese, and that you desire audio and/or video. If you don't mind non-Chinese news websites, my experience has been that you're going to find the largest percentage of international news in Chinese on VOA, BBC World Service, and Deutsche Welle. Radio Japan also has a Chinese service, and the New York Times often appends audio versions of its Chinese language articles, but these may not have lots of EU/European content.

I'm interested in this issue, too. Tell us more about your goals, interests, and experience. And please be more specific about what it is you are looking for. "Websites" can mean anything.

TBZ

Why is it that his particular thread does not show up on the forums home page unless I am logged in???

If I stop by the forums page after visiting another site, chances are that this thread is not shown. As I know that it's too recent to have moved off the home page, and I log in, it suddenly appears right about where I expect it would be.

Is there a pecking order system in place, is it possible for a member to request that a particular thread not be made "public"???

Just askin' for a friend...

TBZ

Ah, it's posted in the News forum. That doesn't show up to guests so it doesn't get indexed - while it's not as common as it once was, we'd sometimes have 'controversial' topics that would attract folk searching for "Discuss Tibet with Chinese people" or something. They weren't the most productive of contributors, and those discussions aren't our core business, more of an add on for existing members. So the news forum has always been members-only and not index. 

I'll move this one, it'll show up then. 

Thanks for the update. I didn't realize it this was possible.

This thread seems to have come to an abrupt end, anyway. Somehow I seem to have that effect. I feel like I've killed more than my share of someone else's threads over time.

Anyway, thank you, again...

TBZ

On 6/29/2022 at 3:55 PM, TheBigZaboon said:

Tell us more about your goals, interests, and experience. And please be more specific about what it is you are looking for. "Websites" can mean anything.

Now that I've reached an advanced enough level that I'm not limited to e.g. graded readers and the like, I'd like to start incorporating Chinese into my everyday life as much as possible. I also want to expand beyond just novels, since I know Chinese is written in a much wider variety of style than English, and I figure reading the news is a good opportunity to kill several birds with one stone. I can read more formal material, but also read stuff that is immediately relevant to my everyday life, which really helps with motivation. I make it a point to read the news every morning shortly after I wake up, so it'd be really easy to work one article in Chinese per day into my routine.

I'm kind of aiming for one chapter of reading, one chapter of audiobook, and one news article per day.

It annoys me somewhat that DW, just like BBC, mostly prfioritize news about China and/or Taiwan on their Chinese news website, instead of providing news that are more similar to their English editions. When I go to, say, Asahi Shinbun's English website, I want to read about Japan and what the Japanese read about, rather than subjects that are aimed towards Europeans or Americans.

Yes, that's exactly the issue I have. News focused on China and Taiwan simply isn't terribly relevant to my daily life. When it comes to the Sinosphere I'm mostly interested in history, culture, and music, so reading about random daily news I feel like I really have to force myself to care. I feel like that scene with Zapp Brannigan.