Chinese-Forums

Money spent on learning Chinese

Jan Finster

On 10/30/2022 at 1:56 AM, Flickserve said:

is this in person rather than online?

She was my teacher formerly at the Confucius group HSK5 class, which was in person. Then she moved back to China, and I started online classes with her.

She has a lot of teaching experience, can answer all grammar questions, and also interested in business content which is the current focus of my learning. She has decent English, which helps with translation exercises because she can spot the small errors, and this I appreciate. All of this I can't get from the new Confucius teacher here now.

In person one on one teaching at the Confucius Institute would come at 40€ / 45 minutes at less (perceived) quality, so I consider 35€ per 60 minutes as cheap.

I guess when I was a student I could never hire a teacher at such rate, but after I started work, student debt paid, 35€ is no longer a huge deal anymore.

• Like 3

On 10/30/2022 at 8:19 AM, Erbse said:

She has a lot of teaching experience, can answer all grammar questions, and also interested in business content which is the current focus of my learning.

Makes good sense to stick with a teacher you know and whose teaching style you find congenial. Plus it sounds like this lady was strong in the areas you value most. All that makes her a bargain at any price!

• Like 2