Chinese-Forums

Why did you choose your screen name?

suMMit

@MTH123 It's funny you mentioned this in another thread, I was going to start a topic asking people the meaning behind their Chinese Forums name.

923622758_ScreenShot2022-07-13at6_39_29AM.thumb.png.84e99b6a4e2e2f9c6df72c137f7ff989.png

Mine is obvious, climbing the mountain that is Chinese. 

@suMMit Hmm… I want to give people more time to guess, because it doesn’t seem hard. It isn’t related to the most obvious part of your username. It involves parsing it.  Here’s another hint that may or may not help, It was inspired by @abcdefg's simple username, but isn't as simple. I've probably already given too many hints.

On 7/12/2022 at 6:47 PM, Jim said:

I'll let everyone take a wild guess :D

My guesses are Jimbo, Big Bro Jim, Little Bro Jim, Cousin Jim, Uncle Jim or Jim the Film Guy. Am I close? lol

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 6:53 PM, TheBigZaboon said:

Born and bred in Zaboonistan, tied by destiny and fate to my consort for eternity, Little Zabuna...

Just tellin' the truth...

TBZ

Okay, this is hilarious. It is anywhere near Kreplachistan?

Yes, as a matter of fact...

Hard by the northern border, where my great, great, great, great uncle Willie was for many years hetman of all the Zaporojians (who are Cossacks, not Armenians)...

TBZ

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 11:04 AM, TheBigZaboon said:

And all these years I thought it was because somehow you were of Indonesian descent...

You are correct but that was just a coincidence that one of the orangutans is the one called Amy and not one of the chimps ?

Lima puluh tahun yang lalu, waktu saya anggota angkatan darat, saya belajar Bahasa Indonesia di sekolah bahasa chusus. Tetapi, pada waktu itu, tidak ada kesempatan untuk pergi ke Indonesia. Sekarang, Bahasa Indonesia saya tercampur dengan Bahasa Jepung dan Bahasa Tjionghua (edjaan tua!!!). Saya lupa hampir semuannya...

Sorry, I lost my train of thought...

TBZ

• Like 1

Hahaha amazing!!! You still remember a lot and using the old spelling is funny my parents spell the same way. Wow! I’m always surprised when people learn Indonesian ? there is an Aussie youtuber who speaks native level Javanese dialect and it is always soooo entertaining watching him. 

Actually, I may be a bit older than your parents!!!

We had better stop here, or we'll be accused of hijacking the thread. But everything I use in studying Chinese, I learned in the Indonesian class at that school...

TBZ

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 5:45 PM, suMMit said:

@MTH123 It's funny you mentioned this in another thread, I was going to start a topic asking people the meaning behind their Chinese Forums name.

923622758_ScreenShot2022-07-13at6_39_29AM.thumb.png.84e99b6a4e2e2f9c6df72c137f7ff989.png

344478540_math123.thumb.jpg.d4c5f0f5ebb4261d3292ecd2f347df60.jpg

When I first saw suMMit’s screenname, I did a double take and wished that I had been more creative with my screenname. My actual initials are MM. MTH123 is short for Math 1 + 2 = 3. So, I like something like suMMit better than MTH123.

Why did I choose my screenname? It has been taking me forever to transition into my retired life. I’ve outgrown previous hobbies (which is an interesting phenomenon that is a whole separate topic). My current hobbies are all fairly new and still in their infancies. So, I thought about other things that have been a big part of my life. Math is one of them. It was more prominent in my school days, but it was also a part of my career, along with sciences. My fondest math memories are of high-school math club. Yes, geek alert!

So, math was the best I could come up with for something I was willing to cram into a screenname. (I wouldn’t put my husband in a screenname, even though MyHubbyIsTheBest. I used to have my dogs in a screenname (not this website), but they’ve passed away. )

• Like 2

On 7/13/2022 at 5:09 PM, abcdefg said:

Since leaving China and returning to Texas, I've taken up organic vegetable gardening. One of the things I hope to do is learn how to grow some of the vegetables I loved to eat in Kunming that are not widely available here in the U.S. 

I have the brownest of brown thumbs. But, one of the retirement hobbies on my list to eventually get to is to make a really, really concerted effort to try to actually figure out how to grow “easy to grow” things, like some herbs and Chinese Chives. (I absolute love dumplings with Chinese Chives.)

If I were ever to be able to make even the smallest garden a success, I would try to grow yams, more for their leaves than for the yams themselves. Americans throw “that stuff” away, but they’re so great! A quick blanch and some great sauce are all it takes. Carrot leaves are also great, as I recall.

The analogy to meat is throwing beef tendons away. Many Chinese people prefer tendons over meat in beef noodle soup. I do, too. I even tried to get these "scraps" from a butcher once for a cow that I and some of my friends bought, but it was a no go.

Have you talked about why to go organic somewhere? I never had any real time to look into it. If you haven’t talked about it somewhere, will you post about it some day?

Also, would you please tell me what the threshold is for "hijacking" threads? If you prefer PM, please do so.

On 7/13/2022 at 7:14 PM, MTH123 said:

Also, would you please tell me what the threshold is for "hijacking" threads? If you prefer PM, please do so.

Apologies! I have deleted the problem post. My fingers sometimes work quicker than my brain.