Chinese-Forums

縱向上和橫向上進行業務拓展

Kenny同志

针对这一问题,该公司在横向与纵向上进行了业务拓展。

To address this, the company expanded its business both horizontally and vertically. 

Hello folks,

I need to translate this into English but 'horizontally and vertically' doesn't seem to work here. Or am I wrong? 

Anyway, are there any alternative ways to get the message across? 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

• Good question! 1

What is Horizontal expansion and Vertical expansion? Is something as below?

Horizontal integration is an expansion strategy adopted by a company that involves the acquisition of another company in the same business line. Vertical integration refers to an expansion strategy where one company takes control over one or more stages in the production or distribution of a product.

If the meaning is same then your original google translation is Fine.

• Like 1

I need to translate this into English but 'horizontally and vertically' doesn't seem to work here.

It depends on the audience for your text.  This is serious business jargon that people who didn't go to business school probably wouldn't know.  You wouldn't find this expression in, let's say, a news article about Uber or Google in the New York Times, but you might find it in an annual report or an article on business strategy for those working in venture capital.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 10:48 AM, Kenny同志 said:

'In response to this challenge, the company increased both the width and depth of its business,'

In my opinion, "width and depth" is a vague term. For those who don't understand the specific business meanings of "horizontally and vertically", then maybe these would be understood in a similar way. But essentially you are replacing a phrase with a well-defined meaning with another, albeit similar-sounding phrase, that does not encompass the same specific meaning.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1