Chinese-Forums

Trashy Soap Opera of the Month Club

roddy

geraldc wrote:

>I have all the episodes now, so if anyone in London wants a copy, PM me.

I would like a copy so I can participate in the viewing and discussion. I need to ask you though about the format you have the episodes on, and perhaps you could advise as to what I need to view these (sorry to be so hopeless, I really am no good at computer technology). :oops: I’m afraid I don't have the PM thing. Is it okay to post my e-mail address here, so we can discuss this on e-mail? Thanks.

chris2005

The DVDs from YesAsia arrived today. I bought this version:

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1003736046/code-c/section-videos/

It is the cheaper of the two versions of the DVD YesAsia sells. It works fine on my zone 2 DVD player and the quality is good. I assume the reason it is cheaper is because it is the China only version and hence has no language or subtitle options, i.e. you get mandarin with simplified character subtitles (fine for me). The more expensive version also has cantonese and traditional subtitles and hence takes up more DVDs.

I paided with paypal and the transaction went fine, I got the goods in about 10 days (standard delivery).

Carn't wait to start trying to catch up with you guys :D

I've only just discovered this sub-forum!!! Don't quite know how it passed me by......

I'm a soap-opera queen when in China (isn't it great being able to watch soaps in the name of study!!). 中国式离婚 was alreay on my list to watch - I'll move it top of the list now......at a quick glance, your posts look like they will be a great help. Thanks to everyone.......

How are we all doing with this? I was getting through it at one episode per weekday, and got up to episode 11 (or 12, I forget), but then decided to give it a rest for a while to give people a chance to catch up - not essential, obviously, but it's a bit cooler if some of us are roughly in step.

So how far has everyone got? How easy / difficult are you finding it? And who do you want to slap most?

Roddy

I've just started watching this and have found the text of the book at the following location. It appears to follow the television series reasonably closely.

http://lz.book.sohu.com/serialize-id-538.html

It'd be nice to be able to find the actual script as well but a search for "中国式离婚 剧本" on google didn't turn up anything.

-Rob

I am new here and would just like to say how great this forum is.

I am up to episode 20 of the series and will probably finish watching it in the next couple of days. I have to admit though that there has been plenty of new words or expressions that I haven't bothered to look up.

p.s I'd also like to thank you Rob for the link to the book version - it's a big help

• 2 months later...

Just curious, how many of us finished watching the show? I still have three episodes to go - to be honest I lost interest once they started the internet boyfriend thing - all got a bit too farce-like for me. I should get around to finishing it though, daft not to.

Glad to hear someone is still working through it. I think planning to finish it in a month was maybe a bit ambitious, but despite the amount of time it's taken and drop-outs (including me) I still think it was worthwhile.

Why not post some of your queries - I've seen most of it, so should be able to help :twisted:

Roddy

For what it's worth, I've attached these my notes here. I'm not sure if they'll be of any help to anyone. My method so far has been to keep a window up while watching an episode and jot down unfamiliar words or the text of certain passages that seemed interesting. Sometimes I've copied dialogues from the text of the book so there are sometimes some small discrepancies between what I've got there and what's on the book. Sometimes I've copied things from notes other people have left on these forums.

I haven't put in many definitions because in most cases I was able to just look them up using stardict. I also gave up on putting markers as to what scenes the snippets of dialogue came from quite early on.

zhongguoshilihun.txt