Chinese-Forums

5Y drop in motivation - what to do?

matteo

On 10/20/2022 at 7:58 AM, phills said:

I can't do it.  I can barely motivate myself to stick to my gym routine, if I added language practice as well, I'd probably do less of each.

On 10/20/2022 at 4:52 PM, PerpetualChange said:

I'm a terrible multitasker

Wow. I did not expect this.

I pretty much listen to Chinese every minute I do someting that does not require particular forebrain activity. My main problem is boredom and zoning out when I listen only to Chinese. So I listen to Chinese Youtube content while I do chores, drive my car, walk on the treadmill, clean, or queue at the supermarket checkout. In sum those are hundreds or even thousand hours per year.

• Like 1

If it's broadly comprehensible even though you're not paying attention, that's great. If it's not broadly comprehensible without paying attention, then I used to wonder - following Imron's rule that you should train what you want to achieve - whether I was training myself to 'hear without paying attention', training myself to 'not bother listening closely', to 'tune out' when hearing Chinese.

• Like 3