Chinese-Forums

Playing Pokémon in Mandarin to study (example) GBA LeafGreen 口袋妖怪 绿叶

jaapgrolleman

After 3,5 years of Mandarin classes I took to Taobao to buy a gaming console to play Pokémon LeafGreen from 2004: 口袋妖怪-绿叶. Here I take you through the process and adventure of learning new words and catching Pokémon.

When the new Pokémon games come out (Scarlet/Violet) I also want to play them in Mandarin.

video: https://youtu.be/Cb22LUDCeAU

Google spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GhwzcucQiNB0QzTtAa7mc_Y_16YF0r1Ic9WH1ofS_tA/edit?usp=sharing

Spreadsheet tip:
– For Chinese to English, use a formula such as =GOOGLETRANSLATE(A1,”zh-CN”,”en”)
– For characters to Pinyin, install the Google Spreadsheet addon ‘Mandarin Cantonese Tools’ and use the formula =PINYIN(A1)

Replace A1 with the variable you need.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

On 9/28/2022 at 7:49 PM, becky82 said:

Nice!  I admire people who post videos of themselves speaking Chinese.  Imagine how it's going to feel in a year or so when you look back.  I don't have the courage to do so.

I think I just got to an age or attitude I don't really care about what people think and I'm just going to have some fun and record it. And yeah it is nice to see again, although I'm not seeing THAT much progress from last year ? I know a lot more words but in my speech I still use simple HSK1 to 3 words (mostly). 

I'd suggest you record though! Even if you don't share it! You could share it with your teacher

On 9/29/2022 at 6:51 AM, jaapgrolleman said:

I'd suggest you record though! Even if you don't share it! You could share it with your teacher

Hahaha, maybe I should give it a try (again).  I did it once---recorded myself speaking---and was totally demoralized: it sounds so much better in my head than out load.  And my voice sounds awful.  Actually, perhaps my main problem is... what should I even say?  [Edit:  Okay I broke the egg, and now have videos starting here.  I'm not sure where this is going...]

I instead post some of my writing online: I created a subreddit and have been writing there for a few months now (thus far I'm the only one who's written anything).  Maybe you're in the same boat as me; I don't really want people's feedback, corrections, etc. (so I don't want to use sites like LangCorrect, even though I think they're excellent), I just want to output more for practice, and to see how I improve over time.  Mostly, I can correct myself, or ask my teacher.

• Like 1