Chinese-Forums

Risks of being rejected by universities in programs where "no foreigner has studied before" (e.g. Chinese Language and Literature).

Eibar

Could someone share more thoughts on this topic? I heard of a case of someone who applied for the CSC type A scholarship through the Embassy of his country and was sent to Hunan Normal University to study a Chinese Literature program, supposedly he was rejected because no foreigner had ever applied to that program before. Then this guy applied for a change of university to Nanjing University but they did not accept the change, apparently he lost the scholarship. I think that no information is given about these risks, the precautions to take, any "blacklist of universities" with this kind of risk; don't misunderstand me, I just mean: "not so foreigner friendly universities", something that seems normal to me but that should be taken into account for us foreigners. I imagine that this risk applies more to programs taught in Chinese, since those taught in English should not represent any risk of rejection for admission.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate seeing posts sink into oblivion with zero replies. You might want to rephrase this into an actual question or ask for some kind of specific help. You will probably get some answers that way.

As far as I know most programmes aren't even allowed to take foreigners, so sometimes "no foreigner has done this course" can actually mean you can't take it at all.

That said, it's definitely quite a hassle for the staff and teachers to let a foreigner do a particular course, so it might just not be worth their time and hassle for just one person. I don't think foreigners bring too much extra money to a university, and it's mostly just the "prestige" of having international students. 

• Helpful 1