Chinese-Forums

Chinese course in Taiwan for a few weeks in Jan 2023 - good idea?

Hongyang

• New Members

Hey everyone
I am considering going to Taiwan before the end of the new year and stay there for a month until roughly end of January 2023, so I'd be in Taiwan for both the regular and the lunar new year.

Do you think in general it is already a good idea to go to Taiwan again? (I know at least they give tourist visas now)
Also is that a good idea to go there or will everything be closed during that time?

Also lastly, I am considering this school here. Does anyone have experience or other recommendations? https://www.tmichinese.com

Thanks very much for any advice! 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2022 at 11:54 AM, Hongyang said:

Also is that a good idea to go there or will everything be closed during that time?

I think it will probably be pretty quiet. (Disclaimer: That was my experience living on the China Mainland 中国大陆。I never spent CNY in Taiwan.)  

Best ask the school what arrangements they have over Chinese new year. You might find yourself with one week just twiddling fingers.

Social activities over Chinese New Year usually consist of visiting relatives and friends. You won’t be involved in this. 

• Helpful 1

I have been in Taiwan in December 2019 just before the pandemic. It was fantastic. However, I mostly stayed in Tainan and Kaohsiung as they are cheaper and the weather is better than in Taipei (hardly any rain). I also love Kaohsiung as it is just by the sea.

I was happy to see Taiwan reopen, but for me, currently, it seems to early to go back. Further, the hotel prices seem to be significantly higher now, than I remember. Several hotels I have stayed at seem to be closed (or have not reopened).

I am not sure if I would want to stay in China or Taiwan during CNY (before CYNY it is "people mountain, people sea" and during CNY I doubt you will find a teacher).

On 10/13/2022 at 1:01 PM, Hongyang said:

Given your input I will reschedule my trip to Taiwan to a later date

You will probably have more fun after the holiday. More places will be open, etc. Hope it works out!