Chinese-Forums

Online Speaking Opportunities

markhavemann

I found this video on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmzyC3T2tqc

It describes a thing in Japan where people "meet up" online in little skype calls of 2 to however-many-people with the idea of making friends and having interesting conversations. I guess this guy found that it's a really good way to practise Japanese in a fairly relaxed normal setting, with the option of just listening if you don't feel confident joining in.

I wonder if anyone has come across anything similar in China, that's just as easy to join in? Maybe people playing 狼人杀?

The last time I pinched my nose and gave Hellotalk another try (I've been consistently driven away by the self-absorbed flakiness and inanity of it all, especially the social-media-like design of the app that seems to want to saturate users with self-introductions, self-promotions and the like), I actually noticed there was a tab dedicated to walk-in live group chats, à la Clubhouse. 

I've seen the same feature on Reddit and I understand other platforms (like Discord as well as online games) offer similar features. Haven't tried any of them so can't say which one, if any, offers group chats specifically in Mandarin. 

I couldn't try live chats on Hellotalk as they seem to be inaccessible from my location unfortunately. I wouldn't be surprised if certain features of this app are somehow incompatible with European privacy laws or similar. But they might be a good solution otherwise.

I'm not a big fan of all those language exchange platforms. I guess what I'm looking for is more  a window into native groups than a semi-tutor type thing. Also, I think you get  a different experience from people who aren't looking to also learn your language.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 9:16 PM, markhavemann said:

Also, I think you get  a different experience from people who aren't looking to also learn your language.

True but it would depend on your language level. If it’s an area where you’re quite familiar with, you could get quite a lot out of it. Of the subject turned to car interiors for example, maybe then not so much. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 2:34 AM, Publius said:

Online gaming?

I already do a fair bit of that. The only problem is that it's not nearly as language intensive as I'd like.

Mostly it's simple and repetitive stuff, and occasionally someone freaking out and blaming their teammates for the game not going smoothly, pointing out in what ways they are deficient as human beings, sometimes mothers and other family members are brought up too. Unfortunately all this has only made me better at arguing with my girlfriend (just kidding of course), and not much better at Chinese in general. 

Maybe there are some games that are better than others though.

That sounds interesting, at least to experience once.  It's actually not that easy to get experience arguing / trash-talking in a foreign language, in a (relatively) safe environment ? 

What online games can you easily access from outside China, with voice interactions? 

On 10/22/2022 at 3:46 PM, phills said:

That sounds interesting, at least to experience once.  It's actually not that easy to get experience arguing / trash-talking in a foreign language, in a (relatively) safe environment ? 

I record sometimes, maybe if it happens again I'll put it up on YouTube. I do try my best not to be one of the two people screaming at each other though.

On 10/22/2022 at 3:46 PM, phills said:

What online games can you easily access from outside China, with voice interactions? 

Lots of games are tied to tied to your phone number so potentially not that many.

I think you might be able to play Dota2 (free on Steam) on Chinese servers though. You do need phone number authentication but that's for Dota as a whole and I'm pretty sure you don't need a number that's linked to the region that you play in.

• Like 1