Chinese-Forums

Master in Beijing

hatosanta

Hello everyone,

It's my first topic in this site. 

I'm thinking of doing a master's in China and as a graduate of Cinema TV, I decided to do a Film Production etc. master's in a subject. 

Since I only know beginner level Chinese, I took a look at English programs. That's how I came across Communication University of China in Beijing.

I look forward to your comments about getting a master's degree in Beijing, living a student life, or if you are studying at this school or if you know anyone who is studying at this school. Your comments are very valuable when making this decision that will change my life. Thanks in advance.

What do you expect to gain from the experience of getting a master's degree in Beijing studying Film Production?

Are you aspiring to be a film director or at least work in the film industry in China?

That's the only sensible reason that I can expect from someone considering such decision.

If your goal is somewhere along that line, I think you are heading in the direction.

Good luck.

Since my childhood, I have had an interest in the culture and lifestyle of that country. As I grew up and became passionate about film and cinema, I became interested in cinema in both mainland China and Hong Kong and Taiwan. By learning this cinematic different texture of the place in its center, maybe I will stay there, maybe I can start productions in this style when I return to my country. What exactly I will decide in the future on this subject may change during my education. I have also been in contact with the Chinese Cultural Association in my country for years. I was a little bit more enthusiastic as they said they would provide a scholarship if I got a master's degree there. That's why I would like to take advantage of such an opportunity when I have it.

So why do you think it is not very sensible to master there and come back? Thank you for your good luck wish, your opinion is valuable to me.

This is my neighboring school. Its a nice university. Unfortunately student life in China ( for most universities) is pretty much dead. The foreign students at my school who are still there have their classes online, so it's possible you might just be enrolled for online courses regardless if you are physically living there or not. 

Being a student now during covid also means you will likely be unable to leave campus most of the semester. I have seen communications uni go through lock down periods a couple times, as well as my school (which is right next door). My school removed the holidays so we continued to have classes during mid-autumn festival as well as the national week (国庆节) but we will finish the semester early. However, Beijing is one of the strictest cities.  So it's not necessarily certain you will be able to really leave campus freely or even go travel during the winter holiday. Lets not forget the mandatory covid testing. If you live in Beijing you have to take a covid test every 72 hours, I have seen my students have to line up before their classes to do this everytime we have cases and schools tend to change their requirements on and off. For instance, today we were informed we all had to take a covid test for the next 3 days. 

Besides that communications uni is a nice little uni, its not very big and you will have access to nice facilities and good connections. While I was a student at the university next to communications I used to do recording work. I used to have some friends get approached for acting work (who were not actors) which might be a fun and interesting experience. There are no other universities besides these two nearby (compared to wudaokou where most universities are located), the location is a bit out of the city center but you are still close enough to the city center, just a bit outskirts. There used to be nice snack streets and stuff around the university but most have closed due to covid. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 2:32 AM, hatosanta said:

So why do you think it is not very sensible to master there and come back?

I never said anything to that effect.

Evaluate the choices you have and make the decision for yourself

and own up to what happens thereafter. That's all there is to it.