Chinese-Forums

Shanghai Feng movie? 上海风 / 上海滩电影

vellocet

So, I'm having a party soon and the theme of the party will be 上海风. This means the 1930s style: changpao, qipao, white silk scarves, fedora (NOT one of those internet atheist trilby hats) and so on.  If you're reading this you know what I mean, but here's a quick refresher:

1.thumb.jpg.baeaa5af14b0406ae710c85cf46ba502.jpg

As part of the evening's entertainment there will be a movie.  I was just going to put on a classic movie like one from the Coen Brothers, but it strikes me as not in the theme of the evening.  I then tried to think of something that would fit the Shanghai Tang theme, but came up blank.  The best I could come up with was Casablanca, which is the right era but from the wrong part of the world, or Kung Fu Hustle, which is the right part of the world but wrong era.  Anyone got any ideas?  

I want a crowd-pleaser...no romance or thinky movies.  It's a party so people should have a good time. We'll be drinking so please no complicated plots like Lust, Caution or snoozers like Empire of The Sun.   No clunkers like Shanghai Surprise, even though it fits. It doesn't have to be a made-in-China movie, or a black and white from the actual time period.  Just set in the right era with people wearing those clothes.  I know there was a Battle of Shanghai movie that came out recently, but it was too serious and overwrought, and most importantly way too long.  Oh, and beware the double subtitle problem.  It will be a mixed audience so if the movie is in anything but English or Mandarin, we can't display two sets of subtitles at the same time.  This probably eliminates anything in Cantonese. ? 

I'm hoping for a home run. ? A comedy or a rollicking action flick would be just the thing. 

On 11/7/2022 at 11:39 AM, Jim said:

Don't fancy an actual classic from the era like Street Angel?

I would also pick something like this that can be taken as quaint or even camp. I would not really want my guests to settle down and silently watch a whole movie. I would prefer they mingle and watch only a minute or two, then return to socializing. I would use the film only as a conversation starter or as a backdrop or theme piece. "Street Angel" has the added benefit of having a couple great songs. 

Here are some other Shanghai classics along the same lines, from the Golden Age of Shanghai Cinema: https://www.thatsmags.com/shanghai/post/34870/was-the-1930s-the-golden-age-of-chinese-cinema 

"The Fisherman," mentioned in that article, has the advantage of no actual dialogue, only music. Would not compete with conversations your guests are trying to have with each other, live and face-to-face.

Maybe check out some other lists from that same time period to see what appeals. In any case, I think the movie needs to play second fiddle to the other live goings on in order to wind up with a fun party. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

On 11/8/2022 at 1:39 AM, Jim said:

Don't fancy an actual classic from the era like Street Angel?

Nah, too boring.  Black and white movies have to be really really good to get anyone's attention for more than 2 minutes.

"The film became a masterpiece of Chinese left-wing cinema."

Yuk. ?

On 11/8/2022 at 2:11 AM, abcdefg said:

I would not really want my guests to settle down and silently watch a whole movie.

We're having drinks, sitting down and turning the lights off.  A proper screening.  We do this every year, people love it.  I've got a reputation to uphold and I'd like to do it justice.  If I can't find a Shanghai Tang themed movie then I guess we'll just watch Raising Arizona or Harold and Maude or something.  Maybe Big Trouble in Little China.