Chinese-Forums

Online language exchanges

NinjaTurtle

I am interested in doing an online language exchange but I need ideas on where to start. Does anyone have any experience doing online language exchanges? Does anyone know good webpages or apps to do online language exchanges on? (I have heard of HelloTalk but I am also interested in hearing about other places on the Internet.)

You're welcome. The way it worked best for me in the past was to invite several native Chinese speakers to become "friends" inside the app so that we were promptly notified of each others new posts. We would then correct each others' new posts. 

This helped mitigate one of the drawbacks of a public app such as this. Namely, that it attracts a very wide assortment of native speakers, some of whom don't spend much effort figuring out what you are trying to say. My hunch was they are sometimes just doing it very fast and loose on their phones while mainly busy with something else. Multitasking even when it is to your detriment. 

By cultivating a few reliable native speakers with whom you exchange corrections, you get around this random variation in quality. You learn over a short time whose corrections are trustworthy. You do a good job for them, and they do a good job for you.