Chinese-Forums

Is he saying "天真"?

sanchuan

As G20 proceedings wrap up in Bali, footage of President Xi Jinping caught repremanding Canada's Justin Trudeau is making the rounds online. While it's refreshing to hear the man speak unscripted for once, the experience is somewhat marred by controversy about a word that's allegedly heard off-camera right at the end of the video, as the two men make off in different directions.

Some people insist that what we can hear there is Mr Xi saying "很天真" (or perhaps "太天真" in a Beijing accent) in clear reference to Mr Trudeau. I think the pitch of those syllables is too high for him and I don't register that bit as coming from his mouth at all, his last word for me clearly being 条件 with nothing further added besides a parting 好.

I remain doubtful of this whole 天真 business, but unfortunately my ears can't seem to unhear it now they're primed to! I am hoping less suggestible ears among you can help. How many of you are certain they can hear a (很)天真 at the end? If so, do you agree it's coming from a clearly different voice, perhaps the interpreter's?