Chinese-Forums

Fujianese in the UK?

netherboy

• 2 weeks later...

In London too, there is a huge Fujianese community. Specifically from Fuqing 福清, a coastal city (with its environs) that is part of the Min Dong 闽东 region. There are many from the urban centre of Fuzhou 福州, as well as the northern reaches of the Greater Fuzhou area (Changle 长乐, Lianjiang 连江 etc.)

However, there are plenty of South Fujianese / 闽南人, as well as many Taiwanese, Singaporean and Malaysian people who speak 闽南话.

In numbers, there are plenty of 莆田 families too - somewhat harder to find, certainly, but I know a few!

Aside from that, there are substantial numbers of Teochew people, but the majority of them are HKers too. I have met some Southeast Asian heritage Teochew speakers, mainly from Vietnam and Cambodia.

There are a few who are from the north of Fujian, such as 武夷山, but that's a small minority. From 闽西 (Western Fujian) regions, even smaller numbers, but not 0 - I have met some in the flesh!

But yes, Min Dong dialects are dominant.