Chinese-Forums

家居建材 in English

Kenny同志

Hello folks,

I am translating something into English and came across this term, i.e. 家居建材. According to 新浪財經, 

截圖.png

Is there any commonly used English term that is equivalent to the Chinese? I've seen 'home building materials' used as a translation but this doesn't sound quite right. 

Thanks.

I realise I could never be a translator, because despite 傷-ing my 腦筋 I've got no idea how to answer your question.

In the UK, "building supplies" is slightly the more 'professional' or 专业 word, other people might use "building materials". These are both used for 'bigger', external or more structural things, like bricks, roof tiles, cement etc. People wouldn't usually distinguish between "home" and e.g. "office", because there is usually no need: a brick is a brick.

For interiors, builders talk about "fixtures and fittings". And then when it comes to choosing nice wallpaper or furniture, it's "home furnishings".

"Home building materials" isn't perfect but might stretch to cover a broader Chinese meaning, if the Chinese meaning is indeed broader? "Home building materials, fixtures and fittings" seems a mouthful. "Home building materials and accessories" might work better?

• Helpful 1