Chinese-Forums

Trivial photo qs (souvenirs?)

Zeppa

Not sure where to put this. The local Chinese restaurant - see photo - is it called Ni hao or Hi hao and what do the characters mean?

Secondly, are these items in a local charity shop just tourist souvenirs?

Many thanks to anyone for answering these trivial questions!

hihao-0244.jpg

qin dyn1-0285.jpg

qin dyn2-0286.jpg

The restaurant is called 麗豪 which is romanised lì háo in hanyu pinyin, I see it's also then name used by a “Regal Hotel” in Hong Kong and that's the idea conveyed, lovely and luxurious. Presume it's a Cantonese pronunciation they're using if that's one of the cuisines on offer.

The souvenirs are obviously mini Terracotta Army figures, which I presume you knew, so will be souvenirs. Face left is labelled "head of kneeling archer/crossbowman" and on the right "head of a warrior in armour (甲士 - can more broadly just mean soldier/trooper)". The label above where you can't see te pic says "head of a general"

Thanks very much. The restaurant name puzzled me. It is not too luxurious of course. I suspected they were Terracotta Army but I've never been there - that is, when I was in Xian in 1975 they had presumably been found but not displayed. I will leave them for someone else.