Chinese-Forums

陆犯焉识

Fred0

Lao Ji (Lu Yanzhi) has been a prisoner for ten years. Another prisoner, a sixteen year-old who is in for murder has just slipped a stolen object into Lao Ji’s pocket while they are in line for dinner, and whispered to him to feel what it is:

1.  尽管手指头上没剩下多少知觉,  陆焉识还是摸出赃物是一块表,  并且摸出来它是谁的。

Despite his fingertips being numb from the cold, Lu Yanzhi can still feel that the stolen item is a wrist watch; moreover he can feel whose watch it is.

2.  是自己去年换出去的。换成五个鸡蛋、吞咽时噎得他捶胸顿足的白金欧米茄, 1931年的出品。

It’s his own, a platinum Omega, made in 1931,  that he traded away the previous year for five hen’s eggs, which he then choked on, beating his chest and stamping his feet.

3.  他觉得心跳得很不妙, 跳得血腥气满嘴都是。

He felt his pulse pounding in a not good way, and  in his mouth their was a taste like blood.

4。 换走欧米茄的犯人姓谢,  是个犯人头,  犯人们叫他“加工队”队长,  用棒子在犯人屁股上“加工”青稞,

The prisoner he traded the Omega to was surnamed Xie, a prisoner leader. The prisoners called him “processor team” team captain. He used a stick on the prisoner’s butts to boost the barley processing.

5.  砸糌粑面常常要达到以血和面的效果。

Kneading the barley cake dough the effect of blood mixed in with the dough could be achieved.

6.  小凶手是要填补陆焉识从未给“加 工”过的空白?

Does the young murderer want to fill the gap as if Lu Yanzhi has never passed by “Mr. Prossess.”

7.  老几贼一样飞快四望,  看看加工队谢队长是否在视野里。

Lao ji, like a theif, quickly looked around to see whether or not “Mr. (Process team)” Team Captain Xie was in the vicinity.

8.  不在。他满嘴血腥淡化一些。

He was not. The taste of blood in his mouth subsided a bit.

I sm not at all happy with my translation of sentences 5 and 6. It seems the style is very ellusive or suggestive, or something, but it certainly elludes me. Please help me understand these two sentences and give me any suggestions for improvements or corrections in any others that you may notice. Many thanks.

I wouldn't overdo the "effect" translation in sentence 5, just a way of saying that it was common to have blood mixed into to the tsampa dough because of Xie's beatings.

Then sentence 6 looks to me to be our narrator wondering if the young murderer has slipped the watch into his pocket so he too can experience a beating -the filling in the blank is that, giving him an unpleasant experience he'd up to now avoided.

• Helpful 1

Dear Jim, First let me say that I hope you are safe and well in the midst of the Covid outbreak. 

I am good with your comment on Sentence 5.

With sentence 6, are you suggesting that it is saying: Does the little murderer want [是要} (to set it up so that) the blank space which Lu Yanzhi's has never given to [给] "加工“ the occasion to fill in (with a good beating) will now have that opportunity (when he catches Lu Yanzhi having apparently stolen back his watch)?

Yes, I see it, and it makes perfect sense in the context as the author's (and Lu's) speculation, but DAMN, Chinese is hard! I guess what makes it hard is what makes it so fascinating as well. Thank God for people like you who are willing to rescue us beginners.

• Like 1

Giving a good translation of 加工 would be the trickiest bit here I feel, as it's being used in a pun based on an over-literal reading in the sense that the beatings are to make them work harder - "add work" - as well as the standard processing meaning of the compound. So you'd ideally want something that could capture all that in English.

In my British idiom, working someone over is a beating, and that was one of the first possibilities sprang to mind.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As narrated by his granddaughter, Lu Yanzhi is a cultured man who is thrown into a "reform through work" prison camp in the Chinese northwest as a "counterrevolutionary." His horrific life has been described, with massive deaths of prisoners, whose dead bodies are left to be eaten by wolves. The conditions are grossly dehumanizing. The author, Yan Geling, in this introduction has been describing (ironically, as the camp is more beasial than the beasts) the foundation of the camp as an invasion into the pristine natural environment of the high plateau with its herds of horses and sheep, and it's wolves having lived in a natural balance for eons.

这是我祖父陆焉识和同类们被迫进犯大草漠的第四个年头,  正值人吃兽的大时代,  活物们被吃得所剩无几,  都是“谈人色变”。

This is the fourth year of my grandfather Lu Yanzhi and people like him being forced to invade the great grassy desert. That time was an great era of beastly suffering. Living beings suffered until there was not much left of them. Everything was “Let’s talk about changing human color.”

1. Is the reading of 吃 as "suffering" totally wrong? Does it actually mean: 

In that great era, honest men ate beasts. Living thing were eaten until there was not much left?

2. I cannot find any reference to the phrase 谈人色变. Is this a reference to the idea that communism would transform human nature?

For 1. I expect it is literally eating anything that moves; if it's four years plus after the Anti-rightist campaigns it will be into the famine years around the Great Leap.

For 2. it's literally something like, "when we discussed the affairs of men, the colour/expression on our faces changed" with the suggestion it's drained of colour due to fear, you can see an example here: 奥威尔《动物庄园》法则:动物善良,谈人色变 - 知乎 (zhihu.com) and the original phrase it's adapted from 谈虎色变 谈虎色变_百度百科 (baidu.com). I note another common adaptation that came up when I searched was 谈性色变 where it's looking awkward at the mention of sex rather than out and out fear. In your context it's a time of great fear of other men and what they might do to you/each other and with the mention of other beasts you can see how swapping tiger for man makes sense.

色 is often facial expression in early texts, there's a Confucian thing about keeping your countenance set when serving your lord/parents, https://baike.baidu.com/item/色难/  i.e. not looking resentful when you do your duty.

• Helpful 1

• 1 month later...

Prisoner Lu (老几) has been accused of inciting another prisoner to escape. For this reason, he is being ignored at lunch by his non-prisoner supervisor, who will not look him straight in the face, whereas previously they were on friendly terms. Lunch consists of four small potatoes. Lu still has three in the palm of his hand。 He is unable to eat more than one at a time because he has been starved for so long that his stomach has shrunk. Deng Zhi, the supervisor, has just finished his fourth potato. Lu asks him if he has had enough, and says that he still has some, suggesting that he could give him one of his own. Deng Zhi ignores him...

老几问邓指吃四个鸽子蛋大的土豆够不够,不够他这儿还有。邓指不理他,不给他面子来卖乖。

My question is the last sentence: Deng Zhi ignores him, so as not to allow him to gain face which would be coming from his clever ploy? This word 卖乖 doesn't seem to have a consistent definition. Pleco dictionary: show off one's cleverness; preen. LINEdict: to show off one's cleverness; to pretend to behave graciously. MDGB: to show off one's cleverness / (of sb who has received beneficial treatment) to profess to have been hard done by.  (What does it mean to be hard done by? Is that British-speak?) So I would like to understand how the word 来 functions in this sentence, and what 卖乖 means in it? 

What would be a good translation of this sentence?

Thank you.

Reads to me like 乖 functioning more in its common sense of obedient and well-behaved, i.e. playing the good docile prisoner, perhaps to change the perception after his involvement in the escape attempt. The 来 works something like "come and..." I think - "Deng Zhi ignored him, not even granting him the respect of letting him come and try to play the good prisoner." "Come and..." might be a bit excessive of they're actually sat side by side of course, so perhaps should be suggested figuratively but in that sense. I'd probably also not translate 面子 quite so literally if I was doing this text, but have used respect here just to show the structure. It's a bit overkill in the context though.

Hard done by is indeed a common British idiom, I usually understand it as feeling falsely wronged like 冤枉 in Chinese. Not sure about the link to beneficial treatment.

• Helpful 1

• 1 month later...

Lu Yan Zhi is an 18 year old male in 1926 Shanghai. He meets the neice of his step-mother and sees that she has 解放脚 and is wearing 黑色仕女皮鞋,black leather shoes of a court lady, palace maid, maid of honor, or traditional painting of a Chinese beauty.  I'm not so concerned about the shoes, but what are 解放脚?Does it mean that her feet are unbound? Does it refer to the liberation which hasn't happened yet?

I think it just refers to open-toed shoes, exotic then, maybe, but just women's shoes where the big toe and the next two toes or so stick out the front through a triangular opening. Maybe with high heels or a sloping platform. Ordinary women's dress shoes.

Just my suggestion, though...

TBZ 

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2023 at 4:42 AM, Fred0 said:

解放脚

Yes, that's unbound feet. The term predates 'Liberation' as in 1949 it seems (e.g. here 古代中国女人裹脚有多普遍? - 知乎 (zhihu.com)) so I suppose was liberation in terms of the unbinding itself. 

Court shoes are a Western style of women's footwear I believe, I wonder if that's what that is in direct translation.

• Helpful 2

Thanks, and thanks for the reference. I did a Baidu-Baike search for 解放脚 but nothing came up. Unfortunately, I can't register with Zhihu because I am the last person in the world without a cell phone. I'm coming to realize that without a cell phone number, you no longer have an identity. 

• 4 weeks later...

When Lu Yanzhi was fourteen his father died and left him in the care of his step-mother who had only been married to his father for eight months. The Lu family grandmother wanted to send Yeng Yiyang (恩娘)back to her family, but Yanzhi intervened and demanded that she stay and care for him and his younger brother in their courtyard home. Although the Lu family is described as well off it seems that En niang had to do embriodery (抽纱) and decorate silk fans (画扇子). When, at age eighteen Yanzhi announces that he wants to study abroad, En niang is heart-broken at the thought of him leaving, and takes to her bed for a day and a night, but then decides that the right thing is to let him go. Yanzhi is very grateful.

这个时刻,焉识觉得恩娘是他最大的恩人,最近的亲人。恩娘跟人说焉识的一手好字是她栽培出来的,焉识的一口上流英文是她陪练练出来的,这些虚荣透顶的话他都毫不在意。

At that moment, Yanzhi felt that En niang was his greatest benefactor and his closest relative.  En niang told people that Yanahi's good handwriting was cultivated by her, and his first-class prononciation of Enlish was due to her practicing with him extensively, (but) he did not care in the least about those vanities.

What is 的话他 saying exactly. Is this the 的话that follows a conditional clause, or does it mean "as he would say," or somethng else?

她说,假如他不留洋,她抽纱画扇子吃的苦头值什么呢?仍然殷实的陆家在她话里是一副破架子,穷困如同烈焰上了房,不是她抽纱、画扇子来救火,陆家早就一片焦土。

She says, if he does not go to study abroad, what was the value of my doing the embroidery, painting the fans, and enduring that suffering.? Still, the thriving Lu family, in her words, is a shaky structure, destitute as a house on fire. If she hadn't done the embroidery and the fans to put out the fire, the Lu family, would now be scorched earth.

How can the Lu family be both thriving and so destitute that she has to help with her handiwork?

她编造的一切苦情焉识都随她去编,他只是心虚地站在一旁,陪她感慨、点头,看着她一笔桃红彩墨在绢绸上晕开——又一把将要给陆家赚进项的扇子完成。

As she is compiling all of her sufferings, Yanzhi follows along as she goes down the list. He can only stand beside her diffidently, with a guily conscience, accompanying her with a sigh of sorrow, nodding his head in agreement- seeing her add a red ink wash to her silk fan painting, ————again,one more finished fan to earn income to give to the Lu family.

Am I reading this sentence correctly?

I have come across several places in this novel where the narrator will speak TO one of the characters, using 你 instead of 他 or 她. Is this a convention  in Chinese narration, an ideosycracy in her particular style, or am I just reading it wrongly. An example:

焉识直是点头,恩娘给他圈出那么大的世界,批准了他去那世界的签证,这签证比美国公使馆的签证还重要,他由衷地领情。

可怜的女人,她就这样割舍给看。

On 5/22/2023 at 12:44 AM, Fred0 said:

What is 的话他 saying exactly. Is this the 的话that follows a conditional clause, or does it mean "as he would say," or somethng else?

It is actually literally about the words she has spoken here - 这些虚荣透顶的话 - these vainglorious/boastful words, then the 他 goes as part of the following clause, 他都毫不在意 - he did not care about in the slightest.

How can the Lu family be both thriving and so destitute that she has to help with her handiwork?

It is still wealthy, it's only destitute in her account, which is puffing herself up again as previously, sort of "if you listened to her they were on the verge of penury but in fact they were still doing fine".

Am I reading this sentence correctly?

The 编造 here is in the sense of her making up this false narrative. He can only stand there nodding along as she spins this tale of her as their only support. The bit about the fan is sarcastic.

On 5/22/2023 at 2:46 AM, Fred0 said:

I have come across several places in this novel where the narrator will speak TO one of the characters, using 你 instead of 他 or 她. Is this a convention  in Chinese narration, an ideosycracy in her particular style, or am I just reading it wrongly.

This is the conventional way of writing a phrasal verb like 割舍给你看, I suppose 你 rather than 人 because it's sort of an internal monologue. Though I'm not quite sure what 割舍 means here, I'm guessing sacrificing herself, so with the 给你看 it would be making a show of sacrificing her own interests/happiness so he can go off and see the world.

• Helpful 1

Now the whole paragraph comes into focus! I missed the sarcastic tone completely and did not understand 编造 in the sense of "fabricate" or "concoct."  I'm glad I asked, and grateful for the explanation.