Chinese-Forums

Travel to China on a pre-Covid tourist visa

abcdefg

Questions have come up in several threads about visas for China travel now that the ban has officially been lifted. Lots of second-hand information has been circulating, often from bloggers who are quoting other bloggers. Today I found something on the subject from "the horse's mouth." 

Notice on the Adjustment of Requirements for Chinese Visa Application(Updated in January , 2023)

As of January 8, 2023, the Chinese Embassy and Consulates-General in the US will adopt the following new requirements for Chinese visa application. (Please note: At the current stage, multi-year multiple-entry visas issued before March 26, 2020 are still suspended of use. If such visa holders need to go to China at this stage, they can apply for a new visa according to the requirements of this notice. Visa applications for tourism and medical treatment in China are temporarily not accepted.)

• Like 2

I can't imagine they're going to re-open that can of worms that was the 10 year visa.  It got abused to hell and back by people working illegally.  Well, they're in for a big surprise if they somehow manage to worm their way back in again: all the English training schools are gone.  Moreover inspection is way up.  The cops check foreigners all the time now.  

image.thumb.png.7ac3e6db2800b32d2935c217bfd9c1e2.png

Family reunion is a residence permit, not a visa.  Typically 1 or 2 year.

I doubt they'll eliminate the tourist visa, just make everyone re-apply so they can distinguish bona fide tourists from people abusing the system.  Other countries require things like itineraries, hotel reservations, and most importantly a return ticket in hand before issuing the tourist visa.  

Family reunion is a residence permit, not a visa.  Typically 1 or 2 year.

I am sorry, but you are wrong.  We have Q2 visas valid for 10 years.

Direct from the Chinese Embassy:

Q2. Issued to those who intend to visit their relatives who are Chinese citizens residing in China or...

• 1 month later...