Chinese-Forums

Translating an address

GD

I think the main problem with this address is that it's Pinyin, with all the words run together without proper spaces separating them. Probably a machine rendering. 

On 2/4/2023 at 10:33 AM, GD said:

Shanxiyunfeishengxiangsshanmaoyouxiangongssi

Shanxi Yunfeisheng Xiangshan Mao Youxian Gongsi 

It's the name of a company and its address. It's located in Shanxi Province 山西省。Youxian gongsi 有限公司 means "Limited Company." Like "ABC Company, Ltd." The spaced numbers, 4 4 301 are probably a building number and a floor number and an office number. The number 710082 is the postal code (like US Zip code) and CN is for China. 

Best I can do. If you have it in Chinese characters, I or someone else might be able to help you more. 

• Helpful 1

Getting there…thankyou. Many thanks.

So far I get:

Province: Shanxi

Building/Floor: 4 4 302

Postal code: 710082

Company: Yunfei Shengxiang Trading

yes, correct? Any more to add/correct?

also found this on their Amazon UK details if it helps

Detailed Seller Information

Business Name: shanxiyunfeishengxiangshangmaoyouxiangongsi
Business Type: Privately-owned business
Trade Register Number: 91610104MABY9M5Y72
Business Address:
丰收路
丰庆四季小区4号楼4单元301室
西安市
莲湖区
陕西
CN

From your screenshot:

Shaanxi Yunfei Shengxiang trading Ltd.

Fengqing Four Seasons Compound, building no. 4, unit 4, room 301

Fengshou Street

Lianhu District

Xi'an City

Shaanxi Province

PR China

Postal code: 710082

Phone number: +86 18018100372

Please wait for someone to point out my inevitable mistake, I'm sure there is a typo somewhere in there.

If you're sending something to China, make sure to include the phone number on the package/envelope. It's wise to include the address in Chinese (print out your screenshot), because most Chinese mail carriers don't read all that much English.

If this is a case where you paid this company money for a surprisingly cheap thing and now they haven't sent the thing, I'm afraid you've likely lost said money and the thing will never come, even if you send them a strongly-worded letter.

image.png.72d8a3ddf0c3940569ba40c8972043e1.png     

Shanxi Province = 山西省

Shaanxi Province = 陕西省

On 2/4/2023 at 11:06 PM, GD said:

Province: Shanxi

-------------------------------- 

Apologies for being so pedantic, but it should be Shaanxi (written with two letter "a's") since Shanxi (written with one "a") is a neighboring province. It's a frequent source of confusion. 

On 2/6/2023 at 4:34 AM, GD said:

The detailed return address only use’s one a.

Because standard 拼音(Pinyin), which native Chinese are familiar with, use only one a. I don't know how Chinese express companies deal with an English address, but I'm sure the postal code is enough to distinguish even which city your bag should be sent. What's more, you've given the mobile phone number. That's the most important. So you just need to confirm how your country's express companies deal with a Chinese address written by English, and if they just need to know your bag will be sent to China, then I think one a or two a is no big deal.

• Helpful 1

On 2/5/2023 at 9:34 PM, GD said:

Abcdefg….y u say it should be two a’s.

The detailed return address only use’s one a.

seems important since different province.  .???

山西 in pinyin is spelled Shanxi; 陕西 in pinyin is also spelled Shanxi. To distinguish between the two, everyone agreed that 陕西 will be spelled Shaanxi, with a double a. However, Chinese people usually don't write pinyin, they just use characters. 陕 is totally different from 山, they never need to think about how to distinguish between the two. So if they do need the pinyin, many of them will just look at the characters one by one and spell them out: yes, Shan-xi.

Some Chinese people got the memo and will write Shaanxi when they mean 陕西, so on larger companies and government organisations and such, you usually see it spelled correctly. But this sender apparently didn't know. Judging from how they wrote the company name, without any spaces, their grasp on pinyin is not very strong. Which is probably not a problem for them in life, since they just use characters.

Thanks everyone for yr help in returning my Amazon UK purchase.

I wish I had realised the item was coming from China.

Amazon said returnable. Amazon didn’t say how difficult it would be.

OMG…..it’s hopeless…it’s £100 for delivery, plus £100 insurance plus £450 import duty…..arghhhhh.

Wait…HK are giving free plane tickets for tourists.
Maybe I can claim a ticket and take unwanted item as baggage and dump it in fragrant harbour.

im fed up with this unwanted item.

:(

If you bough it on Amazon, dump the problem on them... Be persistent.

They've recently introduced a totally useless new robot for fielding complaints about sales. But if you persist there is still a way to come in contact with a human being. Drill down in the customer service area until you find a telephone number or a call-me-back item in that part of your account. Be sure to have the outrageous cost and efforts required of you to accomplish the return at hand so you can quote it to the representative directly. I did this a couple of times and made sure that the issue was brought to higher management levels, and much to my surprise, they actually changed the system. And the seller was not Amazon, but one of their subcontractors. The last time I returned a misdescribed item, they actually came to my door and picked it up (Japan to the US)!!!

Don't give up, and don't get nasty. It takes ten times more effort than it did five years ago, but it is still possible.

TBZ

Mosh - cos a UK shipping company i.e. UPS, ParcelForce, etc require you fill in an online form that demands the target address is in English, that makes English sense, before you can get to the shipping cost (us Brits cannot read/write Chinese - we gave up after the Boxer rebellion, even tho we still eat Chinese their food here).

We only speak UK Yorkshire English like ," by gum" and "cor blimey".

Wait...I should take the address to our local Chinky Loo restaurant?...damn it we live in the country 10 miles from a town.

I will take advice of Zaboon and give Amazon UK some strong hassle.

Its nuts that Amazon said it was returnable with no mention of the effort/cost!

Cor Blimey what a fuss!

Woo...I contacted Amazon and they said they will sort it with the seller, or Amazon will take the problem and get it returned.

Yes!...thats a win (I hope)...well done Zaboom!