Chinese-Forums

My community is really going the extra mile

markhavemann

Our community's 物业 sent this out, I thought it was interesting enough to share. 

image.thumb.png.c800822116e7facd80b24915a1fd7777.png

单身人士(及亲友)请注意

物业帮您找对象啦!

我们开通了#同城交友专区,化身红娘为您牵线~

靠谱! 高质量! 不收费!

邀您速来结良缘,遇真爱!

戳文章查看活动详情

• Like 1

That's cool! I like it! Sounds like a good place to live.

I once lived in an older apartment complex (in Kunming) where a 30-ish couple operated a foot massage service (足疗) out of their apartment part time. It was a two-level loft apartment with the sleeping area upstairs. The large downstairs sitting area 客厅 held 4 or 5 massage chairs plus an "overflow" area where one could wait one's turn. They opened every evening about 6 and closed about 10. They had a couple neighbor women assisting with the massages and a teenage guy who would lug the tubs of hot foot soak water. 

To be treated there, you had to buy a book of tickets (called a 卡) so they wouldn't have to handle cash too often. It became a social hub. A place to hear the gossip. Free tea was served, and sometimes one of the guests brought fruit or home-made snacks. You could ask your neighbors if they knew a good place to buy rice or who to call to have fresh yogurt delivered. 

More than once, Mary would be crying while soaking her feet, talking about how Bobby had let her down and they had just broken up. The host couple knew everyone and were also very kind. They would assist with introductions if you approached them discretely and they were convinced your intentions were honorable. 

The apartment complex, a small one in an older section of the city, was in many ways like a rural Chinese village. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 11:37 PM, abcdefg said:

It became a social hub. A place to hear the gossip. Free tea was served, and sometimes one of the guests brought fruit or home-made snacks.

That sounds so wholesome! It makes me feel a little guilty that I've never even spoken to the neighbors on either side of me.

One thing is that it seems like smaller and older communities have a more friendly "community" feel and culture compared to larger ones run by the bigger property management companies. It probably doesn't help that my community is one of those where people rent just so that their kids can go to the schools nearby. 

• Like 1