Chinese-Forums

Dish Network

Sleddriver

I'm in the States and thinking of subscribing to either Dish Network or Direct TV. Do you think it would be worthwhile to shell out $30.00 a month plus the dish for 17 channels of Chinese programming? I've been studying since 1998 and my listening comprehension is still horrible.

Just my unscientific opinion, but if it were me, I'd say no, that's too much expense if I'm just in it for listening practice for myself. If more people in the house were going to be watching the channels too, it might be OK.

If I just _really_ felt like paying a monthly fee for Chinese viewing and listening on my own screen, what I'd do instead is subscribe to something like Netflix for $19.99 a month, and just get all the Chinese films they have on my order list.

Depending on your local library, you might also be able to reserve/check out lots of Chinese language movies on DVD/VHS (the county system here near Seattle has "oodles" of them.)

I have had both the DirecTV and Dish Network Chinese channels. I also had many different services provided by a separate KU band dish.

I will tell you if you want to listen to Cantonese than DirecTV is for you. If you want tons of quality Mandarin channels Dish Network is for you. I have tried all the packages and I would highly recommend on DISH the Great Wall package plus the TTV channels.

My favorite show is a weekly martial arts show WuLinFeng (http://www.wulinfeng.tv/) every Saturday evening on ETTV Global(http://www.ettvamerica.com/ettv/01_aboutettv/01_e_aboutettv00.html). YoYoTV is an awesome children's channel and is a part of the ETTV package. I primarily got it for my little rascal but found myself watching just as much. I also enjoy watching the Japanese channel JetTV that comes with the ETTV package(went to college in Japan).

There is always something to watch between these two packages. I like catching DaShan and Happy China on CCTV but find myself also watching Dialogue alot. I seem to tune into HunanTV a lot as well. We have gotten rid of American TV and just subscribe to Chinese TV. At one point, I found my self missing American TV so I resubscribed. A month later, I got rid of the American TV again cause I found myself not using it. Now, if I have an itch for something American, I will just rent a PPV.

Last time I checked, they had a free equipment deal but with commitment. If this is the case, recommend that you forgo the deal and buy the equipment up front. That way you can get rid of or switch programming without the worry of being under any service agreement.

I use Netflix myself. They've got a pretty good selection of Chinese movies, and they're pretty good about indicating what specific language options are available on each dvd. On the otherhand, I don't always want to watch movies, so I do enjoy watching the local Chinese language television channel when I visit my girl friend in San Francisco. For myself though, I think that before subscribing to satelite I would prefer buying some TV DVD's from YesAsia.com.

Thanks for the great advice.

For free listening material try:

www.chinesepod.com (there is currently an active thread on this forum)

http://en.chinabroadcast.cn/ce_chinese/

Is the latter based 在中国大陆? I didn't think issues like Taiwan and US. vs China could be discussed.

Anyway, after hearing what sky888 had to say I think I might just go with Dish Network.

• 1 year later...

I know this is a very old thread, but I too am contemplating subscribing to the DISH network as a fun way to improve my Chinese. The Great Wall package is still 29.99/mo (I know it's a lot of money) and looks fantastic, but I really wonder if I might be better off with the Chinese Super Pack which has fewer channels, but has Yoyo TV as sky888 mentioned which, being a kid's station, could be just what I need at the upper-elementary level! Anyone else have any advice regarding my options? I definitely can't afford both! Thanks.

• 1 year later...