Chinese-Forums

I’m sharing an updated version of my user dictionary for Pleco

Meap158

• New Members

My post on Reddit got a number of people interested so I though I’d share again here.

I find Pleco to be the best companion tool for learning Chinese. However, I don’t really like how Pleco has a separated tab for individual characters in a word. So, I created a user dictionary for Pleco that does exactly that so you can view the definitions for each character right on the main page. Even more so, CD-Dict is now updated with radicals, stroke counts, HSK levels, General Standard#, and frequency ranks for 9,933 characters right in one place.

For download links you can visit this Github page where I’ll be updating new versions of existing dictionaries and adding new ones as well:
https://github.com/meap158/Pleco-Collection

Aside from CD-Dict above, there’s another dictionary on there called ML-Dict which is a Multilingual Dictionary. Basically, I took the same set of data with 238,925 headwords and used Google Translate to translate them all into multiple languages: English, Japanese, Vietnamese, French, Russian, Spanish, and Korean. So while you’re learning Chinese, you can reinforce and perhaps learn some words in these other languages as well. It’s a great way to learn multiple languages at once!

Since they share the same headwords, I recommend using both of these dictionaries at the same time. This way, you will always have them together when searching for words without one showing up and the other not.

Anyhow, as a longtime lurker and first-time poster, I wish you all happy learning!

Credits: Data are sourced from HanziDB, OVDP, Unihan, and Google Translate.

145111E6-0A88-48BF-B796-37A3B01D848F.png

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I downloaded the .pqb file but it doesn't show up when adding to Pleco with Add User/Existing.  There are a lot of files in that directory but only the .mp3 and .jpg files are displayed.  I selected "show hidden files".  

Pleco pops up a screen about "Force Legacy File Chooser in Settings/Miscellaneous" but I don't see such an option.  I have the paid version. 

I don't know, it's a Xiaomi 11.  Some stupid operating system mis-feature I'm sure.  When I tried transferring the .pqb file over Bluetooth, the phone refused saying it "wasn't an compatible file".  Had to change it to .zip to get it on the phone.  Irritating.

Yeah, this is a depressingly common problem with .pqb files on Android - we should probably add some sort of option to make / open .pqb.zip files directly within Pleco.

Either that, or just let people serialize everything to JSON files - the problem with making a .zip is that somewhere between one device and another somebody is going to try to be helpful and un-zip that .zip for you and by the time it gets to the destination device you're back to the same problem.