Chinese-Forums

Work Visa/Permit to Family Visa (Q2)

Jellyfish

Hi all, I've been searching old threads but couldn't find any info on this so I hope you can help.

I'm currently working with my employer in China on cancelling my work contract and permit. Contract and work permit were valid until April 2024 but will now be cancelled ahead of time. I'd been planning on returning to China on a Q2 visa (my husband is Chinese) later this year but my employer said that I won't be able to re-enter China before the original work visa and contract have expired "naturally" (so at the end of my original contract period), ie after April 2024, even if I get a new valid Q2 visa outside of China.

This seems so strange to me, has anyone ever been in this situation? My employer has been really good so far and we never had any issues so I don't see why they would lie to me about this (or indeed what would be in it for them to lie to me) but it just seems absurd, why would this be a rule?

If anyone has ever been in this situation or is familiar with Chinese visa rules and has an explanation for this I'd be grateful for any advice!