Chinese-Forums

Days of the Week

Ian_Lee

Does anybody feel strange why there is difference in the naming of the days of the week among the Chinese, Korean and Japanese languages?

Their translations should be roughly in the same time -- late 19th century.

Korean and Japanese followed more closely with the German (English has deviated somewhat) by following the solar system.

So Monday is the day of the Moon, .........Saturday is the day of the Saturn.

The latter the day of the week, the farther planet from the earth.

But in Chinese, except Sunday, the other days are just named the first,...sixth day of the "star term".

In Cantonese, sometimes it is also called the "Day of the Prayer" -- Sunday. And then day 1 of Prayer (Monday) and so forth.

Why exists such difference?

Ian, for sure the Japanese/Korean imported the 曜日 concepts from China, ;P

When I was in the A-level I was required to read a book called "中國古化文化知識趣談", or something like this,,, the name is just too long to remember.

And the book said in ancient China people also used the same system of "曜日", but later abolish it because it's less convenient to remember than yi er san.

If I remember my textbook correctly, libai has religious implications - something about kneeling / worshipping? and was therefore discouraged. I hear it quite commonly now, though xingqi is still more common. You do hear zhou in speech, but as you say it is more formal / written.

Roddy