Chinese-Forums

Speaking Mandarin in Anhui

changquan

Turns out I will be going to Hefei City to study wushu, and right now Im learning madarin, but Should I?

Anhui Province is near Shanghai, So Do they speak shanghainese, or another dialect.

I dont want to learn mandarin, then go to hefei and be were no one understands me

Turns out I will be going to Hefei City to study wushu' date=' and right now Im learning madarin, but Should I?

Anhui Province is near Shanghai, So Do they speak shanghainese, or another dialect.

I dont want to learn mandarin, then go to hefei and be were no one understands me[/quote']

No, they don't speak Shanghainese at all. Hefei and most of Anhui province speak a variant of Mandarin, so you definitely should be learning Mandarin. Essentially, if it's north of the Yangtze River, it's all Mandarin dialects, and Anhui is north of the Yangtze River.

Hehe, just to give you an idea, the Shanghainese pronunciation for Hefei is Avi ("ah-vee").