Chinese-Forums

Updated zdt flashcard program

bogleg

I just wanted to let people know that version 0.4.0 of the zdt flashcard program has been released. It features a couple of new flashcard modes as well as Adso support (as an optional download). More details of the new features can be found here.

Existing users can update their version of program using the instructions found here.

Check out the homepage at http://zdt.sourceforge.net. It's completely free and I hope people find it useful. Feedback is always welcome.

Chris

Hi, I didn't see any place for feedback on the website. I have a question: what is the "smart filter"? What I would hope would be that ZDT keeps track of which words I've gotten right before, and won't test me on them as often in the future.

Also, here's a feature request: I'd like to be able to get a flashcard session independent of category. It would be nice (methinks) if you could tell it "test me on 20 words or so, at random", and ZDT would pick them from among some set of categories that I've studied before. Again, hopefully, it would pick the ones that I'm having the most trouble with.

Hi klortho,

Yes, the program keeps track certain stats like how many times you've answered a character correctly in a row, overall correct %, etc and the 'smart filter' will show characters that don't meet this criteria (5 in a row, > 80% total). Actually, the algorithm is not very smart but sometime in the future I'd like to make the criteria customizable through a preference.

Regards to your second point, you can basically do what you want. You can select multiple categories (all if you want) and input 20 for 'Number of characters'

Hope that helps. I am planning on some enhancements to help with 'problem' characters. That would definately be very useful.

Thanks

Chris

Hey, Thanks a lot for your response. Here are a couple of bugs that I've found while trying to use it:

1. When adding words to a category, I found that it lets me add two (or more) of the same word, with different definitions. This is probably not good, but isn't, in itself, maybe, a bug.

2. But then if I went to delete one copy of the character, it started behaving weirdly. Flashcards would not present either instance (either the one I deleted, or the one I left). If I exited and restarted the program, I noticed that both instances were gone from the category.

3. Related to this, it would be nice if I could simply edit a word's entry in a category, without having to delete it and then re-enter it.

4. When adding words to a category, if I edit a definition, I noticed that it changes the definition in the dictionary. I don't think that's a good idea. I just wanted to simplify the definition for the purposes of the flashcards. In particular, I wanted to remove some of the more obscure definitions of some words, so that in the "Definition Test", it wouldn't use those. But I didn't want to affect the main dictionary entry.

Thanks for a cool program -- despite the above, I'm liking it better and better.