Chinese-Forums

为什么很多的汉语学习者在这里不用汉语?

florazheng

Florazheng,

There are 2 kinds of learners:

1. 学习者:= (genuine) learners

2. 学者: = learners with the practice part (习) missing (ie. reluctant to post in Chinese).

And we've got both varieties on this forum. 这不是很好吗?

-------------------------------

Hi HashiriKata,

I enjoy your pun and humor.:-)) :mrgreen:

By the way, do you keep on translating some lyrics?

不过,我担心如果真的有一个新 sub-forum ,啥的, 没个人负责写东西,用它! 有时候,人说, "这是一个好注意", 但是,事实上他们用不着.

--------------------

Actually, it depends on every member of this forum, doesn't it? In a Chinese-based English learning forum, most Chinese learning English usually try to express themselve in English, I am one of them, though it is very uncomfortable at first I get used to it now. I hope to practise my English no matter how lousy it is. I am not ashamed of my poor English. Since I learn it, I hope to practise it. Practise makes perfect. I believe. I will try, try ...

Of course, I have no objection to use English here. I don't care that much because it is a good chance for me to practise my English writing here...

Here is a story I would like to share with you all. My English teacher of Senior high school told us one of her students grasp every opportunity to pratise her English. She communicated with both her classmates and English teacher no matter they responded in Chinese or English . Say, How difficult it was I could imagine. And I was deeply impressed by her perserverance and passion. And English was not as popular as nowaday. I admire her..

I just think it is maybe a good way for you non-native Chinese to practise your Chinese and WAS quite curious why you all woundn't like to use it since you are learning it.

I remember when I began to teach myself Janpanese and after I finished book 1 of Standard Japanese, though I was not able to communicate with people in Japanese, How eager I was to practise my Japanese...I caught a Japanese to " talk" with my poor limited words by ICQ...I was quite excited at that time because we can understand each other basically...Hmm, He can't speak both Chinese and English...

Practise makes me happy... (of course, I don't keep on learning Japanese now...

:roll: :roll: :roll:

------------------

How I wish I could communicate with my boss and colleagues in oral English but I am afraid they think I just show off...I wouldn't like to go to something English corner to practise because it is always dry after ASL..Etc. I hope to practise it in my daily life and work... But most of time, I speak English to myself...

我们老外同志大部分都是学习者!

我们中国人也是学习者。就是学者,他们之所以能成为学者,也是不断在学习。

学到老,活到老。

对了,我想你的普通话一定是京味:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

五十脚:

不过,我担心如果真的有一个新 sub-forum ,啥的, 没个人负责写东西,用它! 有时候,人说, "这是一个好注意", 但是,事实上他们用不着.

也是,但我一直以为 chat and language exchange 就是找「语言交换」伙伴的专区, 所以以前从来根本没有去留意。我想别人也许和我一样误解了。如果要一搭两用, 那也行啊,我当然没意见。:)

By the way, do you keep on translating some lyrics?
Still do. It's one of the ways to keep my Chinese from disappearing completely :mrgreen: .

Regarding having a sub-forum for Chinese, I'm not for or against it but by just trying to imagine how it's going to work, I've already seen a few difficulties. Without forgetting that so far we've always been free to post in either English or Chinese in any forum we like, I'm interested to hear what others may say about the following:

Ok, first let's give the sub-forum a snappy-sounding title such as "中文角" and add a notice to say something like "only Chinese language is allowed". That's all well and good, but what are we going to post in that forum?

- If it's just general chat & exchange, we can already do that in the existing Chat & Exchange forum. Or by creating the sub-forum, are we saying that users are from now not allowed to chat in Chinese in the existing Chat & Exchange forum?

- If I want to use Chinese to discuss, say, some particular point about the grammar (or reading or writing, etc), where should I go? to the new sub-forum or to the existing Grammar and Vocabulary forum? If to the sub-forum, it'd be too general a place to get good response; if to the existing Grammar and Vocabulary, then we'd return to the question of what the sub-forum is for. So again, with the new sub-forum, does it mean the same topic can be posted in two places, as long as it's in Chinese; or does it means that if you use Chinese, you're restricted to the sub-forum?

Incidentally, I feel that as learners we should post in Chinese but due to the coward in me I always end up posting in English. Anyway, please only do as I say, don't do as I do! :mrgreen:

Thanks for your response, HashiriKata! I was impressed by your Chinese translation before. And I translated some English lyrics into Chinese for amusement too before. If you are interested in it, Below is the URL.

http://www.countrychina.com/soc/lyrics/index.asp?type=10&SearchType=0&searchkeyword=flora

As to sub-forum, personally I don't think it is not necessary that much. I just hope and encourage those senior learners to express themselves as much as possible in Chinese, I don't mean only Chinese language is allowed here, while junior learners of course can use English or other language to put up their questions or opinion.It is fine too.

Roddy has set the strategic policy for this forum and I have no objection on it.He is the boss here.

Cheers!:roll: :roll: :roll:

Man, look at us all. 3 pages of discussion about if and how to have Chinese posts, and not a single new Chinese topic to be seen :mrgreen:

With reference to HashiriKata's queries above - I don't think it's a good idea for information / discussion on the 'core business' of the forum - ie Chinese language and culture stuff - starts to be discussed mainly in Chinese. Because when that happens, it becomes inaccessible to a large number of users, and less accessible to all learners of the language.

For that reason I think it'd be better not to see discussion on, say, the latest Chinese movies / popular grammar points take place in Chinese. However, at the same time if people are going to talk in Chinese, they've got to talk about something - and inevitably there's going to be crossover. Basically, it's not something I would worry about unless it got to the point where Chinese discussion was taking focus away from the English language side of things - which I think is unlikely. Ideally I'd like to see the Chinese stuff be more 'chat' - general, non-Chinese stuff, talked about in Chinese. If that makes sense . . .

Roddy

• 2 months later...

Maybe there'll need to be a forum for beginners. Now, someone may already have suggested this but, as a beginner, I couldn't understand 100% of the messages above :)

Actually, you could just forget about that as I can simply start individual threads for my simple learning questions, which is what I have been doing so far.

Actually in another forum (Japanese) that i'm active in, theres a section known as "Practice Japanese", thus we can have similar stuff here, it'll be good as people are forced to write Chinese, therefore presenting them with a really great chance to learn. :mrgreen:

I've detailed why I'm not convinced already. Another issue is that I'm not sure how much actual use it will get - there's absolutely nothing stopping people starting Chinese language threads under Chat and Language Exchange, but nobody has. I don't see why having a dedicated section will encourage posting.

Roddy, I think what other people’s saying is reasonable, because:

1. Please remember guests on this forum cannot access the part of “Chat and Language Exchange”, if you specially set up a section of “Practise your Chinese” or something like that, which may let them 跃跃欲试 / itch to try and encourage them to be this forum’s members. Besides, even some of the members do not know where to practice their Chinese, look:

但我一直以为 chat and language exchange 就是找「语言交换」伙伴的专区, 所以以前从来根本没有去留意。我想别人也许和我一样误解了。

本来有一个‘Chinese Chat'区,没人用就关了。

我不知道那是在什么时候有一个‘Chinese Chat'区,但我知道现在你的论坛肯定跟那个时候不一样了,因为它已经发展壮大了,就算以前活跃在这儿的老外们的中文水平不足以用中文去讨论问题,但鉴于他们已经在这个论坛上混了这么多年,应该有所长进了:mrgreen: ,给他们一次尝试或者炫耀的机会吧:mrgreen: 。大不了,再设立一次‘Chinese Chat'区,没人用再关掉好了。:mrgreen: