Chinese-Forums

T9 stroke input for PC

skylee

A friend (Hong Kong Chinese) wants to learn to input Chinese. She is an IT professional yet she doesn't know how to do it. Being Cantonese means that she is not capable of using pinyin input. And she is my age, meaning she is too old to learn Cangjie and similar methods. And it doesn't seem that she likes Cantonese input or writing pad.

I think T9 stroke order input method for traditional characters, which uses 5 number keys only, i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 of the key pad, and does not require any new knowledge for native Chinese, is suitable for her. But despite its popularity with mobile phones, it doesn't seem that it is available for downloading or purchase for use in PCs.

Any clues on where I can find a copy for her (to be used in PC)?

• 3 weeks later...

There's something called Wubi shuma, which is very similar to T9 cellphone input. It's available in one version that uses 6 keys and one that uses 9 keys. The 6 key variety is very similar to 5-key T9 input. Its readily available on the mainland, I even have a dictionary with input codes I bought in Guangzhou, but I don't know about Hongkong (or whether its available for traditional characters).

• 1 year later...

My dad's bought the Q9 software, after the sales girl managed to talk my dad through typing a few characters in a matter of seconds. I'll let you know how he gets on with it.

Q9 seems to have evolved into using the numeric pad, and as a result pretty much enables you to touch type chinese...

I must say I'm pretty impressed with the software package, you even get animations to remind how to write characters that you may have forgotten.