Chinese-Forums

Looking for a good chinese grammar book

tmho160

Hey everyone, I've looked all over the place to try and find a chinese grammar book but I can't seem to find any that really suits my needs (mainly because they are mostly simplified chinese versions:wall ). I would like a book that teachs me how to use the correct grammar, esspecially in sentence structure and vocabulary usage (I can read it and write the vocab individually but struggle to use them correctly) where as it teachs me how to write chinese using correct sentence structures and vocab in TRADITIONAL chinese. I found some on amazon but i don't know if they cover what i want it to cover. Can you recomend me any good grammar books? preferably with exersises. THAK YOU

Hi,

I've used 簡明漢語語法 A Concise Chinese Grammar, written by 郭振華, published by 和平圖書有限公司. It's bilingual. I think it will be of great help for english native speakers to learn Chinese. Hope it helps!

Ahh, you've come to the right place. I have just the thing:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0071377646/qid=1131426332/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-9664776-4116747?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

In traditional and simplified, a great book (a few typos but great grammar explanations, as concise as they come for sure).

Yeah 簡明漢語語法 is a nice grammar book, but its more of a reference book. I dont think its quite what you are after. Maybe just buying a standard structured text book is a better option, learning new grammar patterns with each chapter along with the associated vocab.

實用視聽華語 series is used alot here in taiwan, i think its pretty outdated myself, but its not bad i guess, lots of grammar patterns each chapter.

加油

Sorry for my eventual ignorance. Correct me if I'm wrong. (sh)

I speak some languages and now I'm into Chinese. Please, allow me to ask:

"Is there such a thing as a Chinese grammar ?"

That was a rhetorical question. I know I has rules. But they look so simple that one of my joys in learning Chinese is not having to study such much grammar.

Every language has its difficulties. For example, the French grammar is terribly complex, even native/cultured French speakers have a lot of difficulties -- whereas the writing is exetremely simple in the sense that you only 23 (not sure) letters.

On the other hand, the Chinese grammar is extremely simple if compared to the that of the European languages. In Chinese, I can express myself considerably well, without major grammatical errors or doubts. But, as a compensation, the writing is extremely complex -- only the very experienced speakers have some grasp of it. :shock:

I can speak or understand around eight languages. And my opinion is that every language has its "dark" side and its "bright" side -- hmmm... like yin/yang.

He goes my quote: "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."

Please share your ideas.

Thank you all, AWN

"Is there such a thing as a Chinese grammar ?"

That was a rhetorical question. I know I has rules. But they look so simple that one of my joys in learning Chinese is not having to study such much grammar.

Chinese starts out pretty easy. You have the S-T-V-O pattern and you don't have to conjugate verbs or indicate gender (except via measure words). It gets harder, though, once you get to more complex sentences. Dealing with the two 了's, aspect, topic-comment sentences, arranging sentences to make the nouns definite or indefinite, subordinate clauses, and 吧 all require real study. The focus of the grammar instruction is different in Chinese when compared to European languages, but it is still there.