Chinese-Forums

Baihua

Ian_Lee

Why is Cantonese being called Baihua by people from other provinces?

In Shenzhen, I met some people from Hunan and Sichuan whom said that they were trying to learn "Baihua".

I scratched my head and later understood that they meant they tried to learn some Cantonese.

白話 means 口頭語 (colloquial language) and it suits quite well for the position of Cantonese. And indeed almost all CHinese I met in mainland called Cantonese as Bai Hua.

Hong Kong Chinese is an exception to this rule. Ian, so I think a better question should be, "why Hong Kong Cantonese don't called their language as Bai Hua?"

I dont know why they call it 广东话, either.

is it a sarcastic statement rather than a question?

I think the reason is simple, it's the language of the richest city in Guangdong Province.

Guangdonghua isn't necessarily a language common to all Guangdongren, just like you wouldn't think Chinese language family includes Uyghur or Tibetan, though Xinjiang and Tibet are parts of China now.

Every province (except Inner Mongolia) has a single Chinese character as abbreviation, e.g. 粵 for Guangdong, 桂 for Guangxi, 滇/雲 for Yunnan.

And so naturally Cantonese is called 粵語.

粵話 probably means Cantonese, but this combination just isn't common.

However, 粵方言 means all dialects in Guangdong Province, not only Cantonese, but including Teochew, Hakka, etc.

'Baihua' in Beijing and the north refers to the language that forms the basis of modern Mandarin.

Until I came to the south I had never heard it used in the meaning 'Cantonese'. I think most northerners would be slightly confused upon first encountering this usage (I met one in Beihai who didn't know this usage).