Chinese-Forums

Chinese Film Transcripts

45rob54

can anyone help me with this? i am running suse linux 10. i can see all chinese characters on the web in my browser firefox. i also have 'scim' installed and can input characters using 'smart pinyin'. however, i can't seem to see chinese characters in a text file or an .srt file.

This is an encoding problem. I'm guessing it's caused because the text/srt files are in GB Encoding, and whatever editor you are using either can't read that, or isn't configured to read to that.

So, your choices are:

1) use/configure your editor to recognise GB encodings (the steps for this will be editor dependent).

2) Use the command line tool "iconv" to convert GB to UTF-8 then most modern editors should be able to view it without any problem. See "man iconv" for usage :mrgreen:

If you change the transcript file's extension from "txt" to "htm" (or "html"), then when you double click on it (for Windows at least), it will open with the browser. The browser will normally pick the correct encoding. I tested this with IE 6 on Windows XP.

The only problem with the html file approach is that the newline characters are all ignored as html. (All the sentences are run together). That should be very easy to fix with an editor.

Also, you can use zdt or dimsum to convert encodings as well. Dimsum (version .78+) will even generate a vocabulary list from the text, if the word is in the CeDict dictionary, of course.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but several hundred Chinese (and other language) subtitles are available at

http://www.titles.to

Just click on "ADVANCED SEARCH" on the right hand side to get the seach page.

Select "Chinese" from the language pulldown. Then select the "ADVANCED SEARCH" button. The corresponding English, French, German, etc language is also available.

• 7 months later...

I can for sure only use the files that stephan hodges provided. I do appreciate them and if you have anymore would be grateful if you could share them in the same format. I hope to find some tv dramas soon and if successful will send them along to you all.

Thanks

Yours

David

• 1 year later...

Roddy,

A while ago you posted subtitles for a couple of movies, having removed the timing information.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

House of Flying Daggers

Hero

Can you post them (esp. Crouching Tiger) with the timing information?

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I'm learning Mandarin (and am at an intermediate level now) and was wondering if anybody knew of any websites/places where you can get scripts for Chinese/Taiwanese dramas or movies on the Internet.

I've tried shooter.com.cn, but it seems that most of those are for foreign films. I've heard that subtitle files are useful (and can be read like text files), and would save a lot of time when looking up characters.

Has anybody had any luck with this sort of thing? (I imagine there might be a Chinese website with Chinese subtitles for Chinese films/series, for the hearing impaired, for example?/Cantonese speakers)

Thanks/谢谢!

Bryce

I have no answer for your question, though I too would be greatly interested in those. Sometimes you have success in finding subs, when searching for a whole line of dialogue of the movie/series in question.

However, seeing that most shows already have hardcoded subs, somebody already has done the job in most cases. Anybody cares to call CCTV?

However, seeing that most shows already have hardcoded subs, somebody already has done the job in most cases. Anybody cares to call CCTV?

The subtitles must be copyrighted who is going to share them? That's why you have to rip them if you need them.