Chinese-Forums

哪 used as a sentence-final particle

klortho

I was looking in my dictionary, and it says that "哪" can be used as a sentence final particle, pronounced "na" (qingsheng), only after some other syllable that ends in "n". It gave the example, "谢谢您哪".

In a book I'm studying, it's used in "你们房间住几个人哪?", and does come after "ren". But, on another page, it's used in "除了钱少, 人家姑娘还嫌他个儿太矮哪!". It comes after "ai3" -- maybe in that sentence it should be "呢" instead.

A general question about this is -- does it have the same meaning as "呢", or is there any subtle difference?

Tonal auxiliaries are used to express different mood. They can mean same thing in different forms. affected by the previous syllable.

啊 is used after -ng, -i

呀 is used after -a,-e, -i, -o, -uo, -u.

哇 is used after -u, -ou, -ao.

哪 is used after -n

You're right about the usage of 呢 here, which is used to show contrast. Is it possible that 哪 used here is only a variation of pronunciation. As I know, the word 了 is sometimes pronunced as 啦...For example: 行了! 行了! can be pronounced as xing la xing la. Hope it helps.