Chinese-Forums

Traditional Character input using pinyin on XP

Liu Bang

I usually use simplified but recently I wanted to write to someone in traditional but i could not figure out how to get xp to let me input them using pinyin! I had to use some kind of encoding converter tool which didn't work very well. Is it possible to use pinyin for traditional?

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing you can try is to use the Microsoft New Phonetic IME from the Traditional Chinese (Taiwan) input services. At least, this is what I am using on my computer.

If you go to the properties page and click the Keyboard Mapping tab, you can choose HanYu Pinyin:

traditionalpinyin3xk.png

Upgrade to Microsoft Pinyin IME 4.0 (2003) if you haven't done so, the XP default is 3.0. 4.0 has GBK support (includes rare -- e.g. Traditional & Cantonese characters) and many more functions.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3c381308-e169-41f3-812e-aa8774162795&displaylang=zh-cn

If the simplified/tradition button isn't showing, right click the language icon EN/CH, enable "Additional icons in task bar", click the little down arrow to enable hidden buttons.

• 4 weeks later...