Chinese-Forums

Logic in Chinese

roddy

Reading through the Japanese Loan Words topic, it seems that the nearest Chinese word to English's 'logic' (逻辑 - luoji) has come via Japan and judging from the sound I assume it was originally borrowed from English - presumably this happened because neither China or Japan had a word close enough in meaning.

What are the near equivalents in Chinese though? What are the differences, if any between saying 'it's logical' and saying 'it's 合理' or '有道理'.

I've got my own ideas about this, but I'm interested to hear what everyone else reckons.

Roddy

NB Parts of this topic have been split to here

There's another word translated from English, 幽默 (from Humour), and it was translated by 錢鍾書 (Qian Zhongshu, the author of 圍城 Weicheng). I think they need this translation because the Chinese sense of humour was different.

And speaking of logic, I think 邏輯 is actually a Chinese translation. There used to have another translation for LOGIC indeed, Dr Sun (孫中山先生) referred LOGIC as 理則學 (Li3 ze2 xue2), I think it makes quite a good translation.