Chinese-Forums

guailo

Desmond

Hey guys,

I've heard the term guailo here and there. Upon searching on the net, I heard it means "ghost person". Then by using plecodict, I've made up a guess as to what the characters might be.

Would 鬼佬 be right?

(Funny thing, after all that searching, I came up with 鬼老, and then my IME showed the previous one when entering in the pinyin. I guess my dictionary says that 佬 is man/person in Cantonese)

鬼佬 not necessary has negative connotation, though 洋鬼子 could be. Now some parents call their kids as ‘我那兩個小鬼’simply translate as 'My two little ghosts'. 鬼佬 is just a common understanding of a foreigner. Personal feeling, 鬼仔 and 鬼妹仔 in Cantonese even make ‘老外’or ‘外國女人’cute.

In TV subtitles, they almost always translate "kids" as 小鬼. I think it's usually not appropriate because "kids" usually means exactly the same thing as "children." I'm not exactly sure what the connotations of 小鬼 are, but it sounds either jokey or deprecatory to me.

小鬼 is pretty commonly used, it's more equivalent to "punks", "little punks" ("why you little punk!") in English. Mildly derogative.

(For those in Shanghai and have never seemed to hear any "gui" or "guei" sound, 鬼 in the Shanghai dialect is pronounced like Pinyin "ju". 小鬼 sounds like "xioju", 出鬼 is like "ceju"; but 洋鬼子, 鬼佬 are not used in Shanghai dialect.)

Maybe you can translate 小鬼 as "little rascal." Notice that "rascal" has two definitions. In this case, what is meant is "a mischievous person or animal."

rascal

Pronunciation: 'ras-k&l

Etymology: Middle English rascaile rabble, one of the rabble

1 : a mean, unprincipled, or dishonest person

2 : a mischievous person or animal