Chinese-Forums

First Effort

PollyWaffle

If you manually select Chinese Simplified (GB2312) it displays on my browser (IE 5.5). For those not familiar with how to manually select the encoding go to view => encoding => Chinese Simplified (GB2312). This is for Internet Explorer. If you are using Netscape or Mozilla go to view => character coding => East Asian => Chinese Simplified (GB2312). I just tested it on Mozilla. It works there too.

Hi pollywaffle, I enjoyed reading your story.

As I'm only a learner myself, I can't correct it for you, but here are a few points where I'm not sure if the sentence structure is right or not. Maybe someone can tell us?

他最近北京的故事是萨斯病关于。

Should this perhaps be: 他最近的故事与萨斯病有关。?

I often have trouble with 关于and 有关so I'd be grateful for some examples of how to use them.

我打算下暑假旅行中国。

Can you use 旅行 in that way? I would have said 去中国旅行 but I don't know which is right.

哈尔滨有北京年轻的。

I'm not sure what you mean by this bit. Do you mean that Harbin is younger than Beijing? Has more young people?

Thanks for posting it anyway, it's interesting to see what other people write in chinese. If I manage to get around to doing my class homework this week, I might even post something myself.

Jo

cheers joh for yer reply & comments! please post yer homework here, as it is hard to find intermediate stuff to read that isn't boring textbook stuff.

i was fortunate enough to meet a chinese lady today who is willing to help me in exchange for english. i will get her to help me correct my work. yippie!

also, i noticed it displays ok in netcrash with NJWIN. i use opera which is funny about encoding sometimes even when you change it to chinean encoding.

polly

Hi all, I'm a malaysian chinese, am going to China soon for work, which provides me great chance to travel around China. I think you guys are great to learn Mandarin, u guys impressed me very much. I learned Mandarin in school and I think I can put a little help. Although it's a bit different with Beijing Mandarin, but it's very close :P

Below is my intrepretation for the 1'st paragraph:

我没去过中国, 但我有个朋友在北京住了三年。他常常给我来信和电子邮件,

告诉我他在北京的经验。我看过这些故事后更加希望去中国。他最近的故事是有关萨斯病的。虽然他家的栋楼住有一百多人, 但他是唯一的外国人。

(I never been to China, but I have a friend living in Beijing for 3 years. He always send me mails and e-mails, telling me his experience in Beijing. My hope to China keep increasing after I read his stories. His recent articles are about SARS. Although his apartment has more than 100 residents, but he is the only foreigner)

I am actually trying to improve my English as well, and am very welcome if you could point out any of my error. So maybe we can call it a Language Exchange ^^. Anyway, I hope you will find my message useful.

Thank you and have a nice day~

Japanese nameed north east China 满洲 and they occupied north east China from 1934 to 1945.

It would be greatly appreciated if Polly would not use the name 满洲

North east in Chinese is 东北. Please kindly speak 东北. Thank you

chill out hacta, i understand your loathing of the term manzhou! i mean no offence to any dongbei ren. my harbin friend calls the region Manchuria so i thought it might be ok to also do so in chinese. however, my new friend is also from dongbei & told me that it was not pc to refer to this region as manzhou.

i thought the Jap occupied region was called manzhougou!!

thank you greatly for yer input hacta!

peace, polly

Just a quick question. Because my friend is still living in Beijing, isn't it then OK to have the 'le' also at the end of the sentence as well as after 'zhu'?

"...zhu le san nian le"

polly

I started off trying to contribute to this topic, but stopped when I realised I was just going to confuse it. I just drop 'le' in anywhere it sounds handy, a rule of thumb I also apply to all the various 'de''s.

You might want to start a new thread on 'le' in Grammar and Vocab - might make the discussion a bit more visible . . .

Roddy

• 1 month later...