Chinese-Forums

The colours of 'Hero'

Time-

Hi all.

I've seen Hero, the film starring Jet Li. I was impressed by the scenography. There were many parts connected with different colours.

Does these colours have got a particular meaning?

I know that in Chinese culture the red colour is often used in happy situations, but in the movie it seemed linked to jealousy, war and death...

Many thanks in advance.

Ciao

T

Red color can be a symbol to revenge onself on someone s/he hates by dressing the red outfit to commite suicide, meaning that s/he will not get away with the one s/he hates to her/his guts even after s/he becomes a horrendous ghost.:twisted:

Many thanks, Semantic Nuance.

Considering your name, I suppose that you're very fond of colours... :wink:

I had a look to the discussions in previous thread, Skylee, but I couldn't find a real explanation of the symbolic meaning of the colours. I saw a lot of people didn't like the film. What a surprise! And what a pity! I suppose it was misunderstood.

It was perfectly thought and perfectly realized.

Sorry, I couldn't read the article on New York Times because I'm not registered (and I'm not going to...)

Ciao.

Here's one interpretation:

- Zhang Yimou has split the movie into four chapters. Each chapter is symbolized by a specific color. It starts with red, then moves to blue and green before concluding with the Chinese color for mourning -- white. In the film,

red represents the narrow-mindedness of different positions,

blue shows approval of plans,

green represents turmoil and

white symoblizes arrival to the same conclusion through different paths.

- The color scheme is present in the characters as well. Maggie Cheung Man-Yuk's character is transformed from a beauty in red at the beginning of the film to a grieving woman in white by the end. Dressed in her red costume, Cheung is as beautiful as she was when she played the lover of Leslie Cheung Kwok-Wing's Poisonous West in ASHES OF TIME.

http://www.hkentreview.com/2002/features/hero.html